Breaker ?

Denray

Hack job. CH and SquareD that accept two conductors have a plate under the screw that the wires go UNDER.

In your picture only the bottom two breakers show that, the four breakers above show the ends and the side of the wire. Looks to me like they weren't inserted properly.

Hack job. CH and SquareD that accept two conductors have a plate under the screw that the wires go UNDER.

In your picture only the bottom two breakers show that, the four breakers above show the ends and the side of the wire. Looks to me like they weren't inserted properly.

Hack job? The wires can only be installed one way. If they don't go under the screw head, where else are they gonna go? The bottom breaker is likely a two pole.

CH did not have the same retention clamp as Square D.

I just looked on the truck and the newer CH breakers with the plastic mounting foot are labeled for 2 copper conductors or 1 aluminum. I did not see a label on the older metal foot style.

The clamp is a slightly v-shaped lug with a flat pressure plate.

The wires can only be installed one way.

Famous last words. For everyone that says that, there are at least 10 creative people who will screw it up.

If they don't go under the screw head, where else are they gonna go? The bottom breaker is likely a two pole.

In the picture right above your post it's pretty obvious that there is not enough contact area on several of the breaker terminations. Others are done correctly (same breaker) and the top breaker has the other style with the hole to insert the wire.

That's all you can see without being there.

Here's one on the left side.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20135121649_Moran5113%20017.jpg

81.22 KB

The second and third breaker down are the style that accept 2 conductors.

I question what he did there - a black and a white on a double 30 amp breaker, OK. Then he added a black to one side of that circuit. That looks like the work of an ignoramus.

Here's one on the left side.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20135121649_Moran5113%20017.jpg

81.22 KB

The second and third breaker down are the style that accept 2 conductors.

I question what he did there - a black and a white on a double 30 amp breaker, OK. Then he added a black to one side of that circuit. That looks like the work of an ignoramus.

Right. Something foul going on there.

Marc

I don't know what make breakers these are. Do you think they were made to handle to conductors?

If a breaker is made to accept two wires it should be marked with that information. If it's not marked, it shouldn't have two wires connected to it.

Each of the double taps in your pictures is wrong.

If a breaker is made to accept two wires it should be marked with that information. If it's not marked, it shouldn't have two wires connected to it.

What if you know that it is complaint? Such as this case?

It cannot be compliant unless it is marked. You can find this rule at 110.14(A). It's not new.

Each of the double taps in your pictures is wrong.

Sorry, I disagree.

Please provide a reference for your claim.

It cannot be compliant unless it is marked. You can find this rule at 110.14(A). It's not new. ..................

When I go out to my truck I'll take a pic of a C-H CH breaker for you.

My reference is that I know it from experience.

Look at the catalogue. The CH115 breakers are the only Cutler Hammer breakers that can accept two wires. They have this information molded onto the side of the case. The double-tapped breakers in the original post are not CH115 breakers.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif CHbreakers Catalogue Page.jpg

92.26 KB

It cannot be compliant unless it is marked. You can find this rule at 110.14(A). It's not new. ..................

Look at the catalogue. The CH115 breakers are the only Cutler Hammer breakers that can accept two wires. They have this information molded onto the side of the case. The double-tapped breakers in the original post are not CH115 breakers.

92.26?KB

You are reading that catalog page wrong. Those wire specs are for ALL the breakers in that size range; 10-30A. NOT just for 15A.

See how the box you highlighted is as big as all the breaker size in that section?

And please check out these threads where this has been hashed to death already - always with the same outcome:

I don't need those threads for this information. Thanks though.

92.26?KB

Just have to correct that bit, given that it was my highlighting I posted (somewhere?) many moons ago. It's not just the CH115...it's all in that upper box, CH110 thru CH130. The shaded "(2) #14-10" just happens to be on the same line as the CH115, but it applies to all five of those. Also all the 2-pole breakers in the same section (CH210 thru CH230).