Breaker ?

Denray

Good timing. Found this one today.

Also a CH, and also NFG?

Click to Enlarge
tn_20135319250_%20GTB00001.jpg

49.29 KB

That is not a CH series, it is a BR series. Both Cutler Hammer brand, but both completely different.

Those are not rated for two conductors.

Thank you, sir.

It cannot be compliant unless it is marked. You can find this rule at 110.14(A). It's not new. ..................

Please provide a reference for your claim.

When I go out to my truck I'll take a pic of a C-H CH breaker for you.

My reference is that I know it from experience.

Look at the catalogue. The CH115 breakers are the only Cutler Hammer breakers that can accept two wires. They have this information molded onto the side of the case. The double-tapped breakers in the original post are not CH115 breakers.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif CHbreakers Catalogue Page.jpg

92.26?KB

You are reading that catalog page wrong. Those wire specs are for ALL the breakers in that size range; 10-30A. NOT just for 15A.

See how the box you highlighted is as big as all the breaker size in that section?

Thanks for the correction. You are right.

However, your earlier claim is still in error.

* A breaker that is intended to hold more than one wire must be so identified.

* The double tapped breakers in the original post are not identified to hold more than one wire.

Some people think I'm nuts for doing this but when it's a question for me, I pull the breaker and look for the information on the side of the breaker.

If info indicating two conductors as acceptable is not there, I write it up.

I've done that too; but only when the home is vacant.

I once accidentally tripped a breaker getting the cover off a panel. A second later the ped door burst open and the owner came out into the garage fuming and ready to punch me out. Seems he'd been working for hours on a document and hadn't saved it (This was a long time ago when automatic saves were still not customary for all docs). When I cut power to the computer, he'd lost the document and his temper.

The fact that I tried to explain that nobody had any idea he was home and that if he hadn't been home dinking around with the computer it wouldn't have happened didn't seem to sink in. He was so pissed he was ready to void the entire transaction. He seriously shook up the buyer.

I'd hate to have a repeat of that in an occupied home while shutting off the breaker to look at it.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Some people think I'm nuts for doing this but when it's a question for me, I pull the breaker and look for the information on the side of the breaker.

If info indicating two conductors as acceptable is not there, I write it up.

Personally I don't see any reason to do this. Once you know what breakers will accept two wires you should be able to identify them easily.

Basically it's ALL "newer" Sqd QO and ALL HOM 15-30A, and pretty much all C-H CH 15-30A, excepting some really old ones.

Not much else will legally accept two conductors.

I'm aware of the risks in an occupied home. If all the breakers are the same type, I'll try and pull one that is least likely to cause that kind of problem. Sometimes the panel labeling is helpful in that respect, sometimes not.

If all the breakers are the same type, you only have to look at the top or bottom one on each side to see it.

I'm aware of the risks in an occupied home. If all the breakers are the same type, I'll try and pull one that is least likely to cause that kind of problem. Sometimes the panel labeling is helpful in that respect, sometimes not.

If all the breakers are the same type, you only have to look at the top or bottom one on each side to see it.

Sometimes viewing angle and obstructions make that difficult. Especially if you want to get a good macro photo of the markings.