Radon canister tests vs radon detector

Has anyone used this radon detector http://www.amazon.com/Safety-Pro-Series ... n+detector for 48 hr radon tests? I am wondering how it's accuracy compares to the canisters. Still doing some research and I will probably call the company, but I wondered if anyone else is using this tester instead of the canisters? I would like to be doing radon testing and the detector has more versatility and will pay for itself with a few $50 radon tests, vs paying $20 a test kit. Plus you get the results faster than mailing in the canisters to a lab and waiting for results.

These are primarily used as monitors, not testing.

They take hourly measurements, but don't display or record the readings.

They don't give an accurate average level until in operation for 7 days. Folks are used to 48 hour short-term tests.

I wouldn't use it. I wouldn't use charcoal canisters either. I certainly wouldn't be doing radon tests for 50 bucks.

Bill, How much do you charge for a radon test and what equipment do you use? The specs for the monitor I posted said that there is a long term and a short term display, and it recalibrates every 24 hrs, with the first short term reading at 48 hrs. I am inquiring about the Radalink, thanks for the lead. The instructor I had for my H. I. training a few years ago, who had done over 4000 inspections, said he used the canisters and ordered them from AHIT. Certainly extra time involved in going back to retrieve them, and always the possibility of them being tampered with during the test. Obviously, I have not started doing radon testing and I appreciate all of the advice!

Again I'm pretty sure, almost postive that these devices are not EPA approved for use by a radon measurement professional. There are a lot of rules your supposed to follow when doing a radon test. One of those rules is the test equipment is to be placed in the breathing zone (at least 20 inches off the floor) these things plug into wall outlet and most wall outlets are less then 20 inches off the floor. There are other issue as well such as calliberation.

The canisters are cheap, but I would never use one in a real estate transaction. No one is going to want to wait a week for the report, to much room for error and cheating.... Get a CRM, Radalink or one of the other companies.

I use Sun Nuclear devices (1027 & 1028's) but I have also used charcoal absorption packets( similar to canisters) when testing large housing projects. When you are doing 20 to 200 test you just can't use a CRM for every location. When used in pairs the absorption test offers fairly good results.

But, for everyday inspection use the CRM is the only thing to use.

Most inspectors in my area use charcoal canisters. We use the Sun Nuke for follow up, if it's requested.

The lab tells me the monitors are not any more accurate than the canisters. And they would sell, lease, etc. either device for us to use.

I see repeatedly that inspectors place the radon test in weird places like in a closet, boiler room, on top of a water heater etc. And, if I mention closing all the windows in the entire house, I'll usually get a response from a realtor that MY inspector says to close the basement door only ( I ask if the other inspector can provide that protocol in writing).

Rather than annually taking a certification test on topics such as the atomic number of uranium, the basics should be drilled into the heads of radon technicians.

Consumer Reports obliquely recommends the Safety Siren Pro.

"The $120 Safety Siren Pro digital meter can be used for short- or long-term testing."

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/rado ... -guide.htm

Clients of mine want to do a long-term test which I recommended in the home they just bought. The 48 hour test I subcontracted for them showed minimal radon levels.

Are there better long-term tests than others? The EPA says long-term test kits can be purchased for $25 or so.

Consumer Reports obliquely recommends the Safety Siren Pro.

"The $120 Safety Siren Pro digital meter can be used for short- or long-term testing."

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/rado ... -guide.htm

Clients of mine want to do a long-term test which I recommended in the home they just bought. The 48 hour test I subcontracted for them showed minimal radon levels.

Are there better long-term tests than others? The EPA says long-term test kits can be purchased for $25 or so.

They need an Alpha Track test.... For $25 they can do their own testing...

http://www.rssi.us/radon-alpha-track-radon-detector.htm

• 7 years later...

Hi forum, i have been serious challenge with gas in my home air. I have research about it, i was recommended to use radon detectors to know the level. However, I'm new to this device but how can i find the best one from this list DELETED. Can anyone recommend a product for me. Besides, i don't know if what i'm seeing is fog bcs, i don't want to invest on a radon later and the end its not the issue. That'll be disappointing. Pls, i really need advice on what i should do so i don't waste money.