Consumer Watchdog Needs Help IDing Chinese Drywall

hausdok

One easy way would be to check with local drywall suppliers. If they ever bought chinese drywall, it would be easy to locate (at least some of it) as every sell slip has the job refference on it. They can talk directly to drywall hangers, they'll tell you if they've hung that type of drywall. But I'm sure the HCC has already thought of it....

It's nice that this homeowner watchdog agency is looking out for homeowners but they're milking the cow when they want $375/year to put an HI on their list. No sale. Very little contaminated drywall in Louisiana anyway. Florida inspectors may like it.

Marc

• 2 weeks later...

It's nice that this homeowner watchdog agency is looking out for homeowners but they're milking the cow when they want $375/year to put an HI on their list. No sale. Very little contaminated drywall in Louisiana anyway. Florida inspectors may like it.

Marc

Ouch..... sounds like yet another lead generation biz? Marc... Where did you see that figure btw? I just perused the article briefly.

One easy way would be to check with local drywall suppliers. If they ever bought chinese drywall, it would be easy to locate (at least some of it) as every sell slip has the job refference on it. They can talk directly to drywall hangers, they'll tell you if they've hung that type of drywall. But I'm sure the HCC has already thought of it....

That wouldn't work very well, as most of the defective sheetrock in question was used several years ago in Florida at least. *sp

Wonder why they're not having them check the drywall stamps in the attic.

That's the portion of my "Threshold Inspection" I save for last. It's pretty hot and grimy in those attics here in SW Florida! ;) But do remember guys.... ceiling board is always different than wallboard, on a properly built modern residence. Either 5/8" or 1/2" "ceiling board" per our codes here.... so unfortunately whether there is ceiling board from US or Chinese origin, it will not determine what was used on the walls.

To complicate things further... there are now confirmed cases of US origin (labeled or barcoded) sheetrock that has similar negative components and offgassing! If interested, rRead my post at the link below for more info. (hope this is ok to post link... new here)

American Drywall Issues Known since 2006!

Marc

Ouch..... sounds like yet another lead generation biz? Marc... Where did you see that figure btw? I just perused the article briefly.

Read the entire article. It's there.

...There will be a modest fee to participate in this initiative of $375 for one year-per inspector. Home inspectors that elect to participate will be listed both on the Homeowners Consumer Center's web site, and the Chinese Drywall Complaint Center's web site and there will be weekly press releases urging potential home buyers to have their gulf states home inspected for toxic Chinese drywall, if it was built in the 2005 to 2007 time frame, and or if the home had a storm related remediation, or a remodel...

Marc

• 1 month later...