We had to strip Kenny down

John Kogel

10 years of faithful service, but now Kenny was having problems concentrating on the job. His sporadic performance prompted a review by the board, and we decided on remedial action.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201381911617_Img_1354.jpg

34.04 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201381911643_Img_1357.jpg

34.38 KB

Here Stanley Phillips, with a hand from yours truly, points out the defective organ. A poly vinyl plastic lid switch has ruptured itself.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201381911843_Img_1361.jpg

25.33 KB

We called in the old linesman, Henry Boker, to facilitate a repair.

He likes to use #14 copper with just enough tension to hold the parts snug.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201381911956_Img_1364.jpg

34.33 KB

Chrome Vanadium provided the muscle, and Stanley sewed the dashboard back in place. Not a bad design, once you figure out the removal of the end caps.

They just popped off with a gentle tweak from Mr Vanadium.

Now, back to HI. [:)]

I had a Whirlpool unit (that's who made your Kenmore) and there was a plastic spike mounted to the lid that closed a switch mounted under the rim when the lid was closed. The spike eventually broke. I "fixed" it by wedging a broken pencil in the opening to press against the switch. I operated it for two years that way before I finally got around to ordering the part when a solenoid failed on the dryer and I had to order that.

Once you understand how they are assembled it's amazingly easy to disembowel one.

A couple of years ago, our circa 1980's Kenmore washer's center shaft seal wore out. I broke it down and replaced the seal. As I was reassembling it, I noticed something scrawled on the pump motor, "Replaced Sept 5, 1995, JK." It was written in my handwriting, but I have absolutely no recollection of replacing that motor.

A couple of years ago, our circa 1980's Kenmore washer's center shaft seal wore out. I broke it down and replaced the seal. As I was reassembling it, I noticed something scrawled on the pump motor, "Replaced Sept 5, 1995, JK." It was written in my handwriting, but I have absolutely no recollection of replacing that motor.

"BAD SIGN" Jim.. :) !