STOLEN TOOLS

aaronm

Inform the manufacturers and ask them to keep a lookout for those serial numbers. Eventually, those tools will need to be serviced.

Also-Make sure the police department has the info so it also is shared with the pawn shop community.

Good advice about telling the company.

About 20 years ago I had a Passport Radar detector stolen from my car. I ordered a new one and told them it was because my old one was stolen. The actually gave me a discount on the new one because they must have felt sorry for me.

About three year later I got a call from the company that my old radar detector had appeared in their service department. They requested I send them a copy of the old police report. I found out that it was apparently "purchased" by a trucker and he needed it serviced. I received the repaired passport in the mail a few days later n/c for repairs!

PS- Anyone want to buy a perfectly working, obsolete radar detector?

Not bad advice, but old advice.

The only guys I know that have their equipment serviced, do it themselves. OK, maybe there's someone out there trudging to the Milwaukee/DeWalt/Hilti service centers out by the airport, but everyone I know just dumps it, and Amazon's another in the same day.

Sorry for your loss. Get over it. The shit's gone. Happen's to everyone sooner or later.

Not bad advice, but old advice.

The only guys I know that have their equipment serviced, do it themselves. OK, maybe there's someone out there trudging to the Milwaukee/DeWalt/Hilti service centers out by the airport, but everyone I know just dumps it, and Amazon's another in the same day.

No one's going to service his own B Cam. Sooner or later, someone will send the Flir back to Flir.

Sorry for your loss. Get over it. The shit's gone. Happen's to everyone sooner or later.

With the right insurance, the stuff could be covered. We lost an IR imager when someone broke into one of our cars. Our insurance company bought us a new one.

True enough. But, stuff like a B-Cam will end up fenced and absorbed into the under-economies. It's hard to imagine a punk thief finding themselves with an IR imager, and then worrying that it's not calibrated correctly.

Maybe someone finds themselves unwittingly in possession of stolen goods, I suppose it could happen. Then, you get the B-cam back after several years, beat to hell. It's like if your car gets stolen...it's usually best for it to stay stolen than to get it back beat to shit.

Insurance is the answer. If you don't have it for your tools, it's a major risk. Getting back stolen tools just doesn't happen.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Bussiness Owners Policy that covers my tools in addition to other stuff.

My general liability includes loss of tools due to theft up to a certain limit. I don't have anything too expensive.

My Transit van has a good aftermarket alarm and a two way transmitter that can communicate up to 1/4 mile. It has a shock sensor and also triggers on the interior lights when doors are opened. I had to turn the shock sensitivity down to a lower level since even heavy rain pelting the roof would set it off. The transmitter sits on my bedside table. The kit came with a bright blue flashing LED to indicate various signals or trigger events based on the flashing sequence. I installed the LED on the top side of the dash instrument panel in full view of would be thieves. The LED flashes steady whenever the system is armed. The LED says to thieves, "touch me and I'll make a shit load of noise", so go on down the street and muck with someone else.

What's the name of it?

Marc

If you are looking to purchase an alarm, just pick up something from DEI, or Directed as they call themselves now. It's all the same stuff, meaning there is no difference is Viper/Avitol/Clifford/Automate, etc... It's the same, just different packaging and remotes. You will pay more for Viper though.

I spent the better part of 15 years installing remote starts & alarms, and if you need a wiring diagram, I can get you a breakdown of your ride if you need.