spa connection

tps777

I had an electrician come out to check for any problems and/or code violations. One of the things he said was my spa connection was not ok.

He said the connection between panel and spa cannot be NM flex conduit, it must be in rigid and buried.

I have always seen spas connected with flexible nm conduit, so this is new to me. Has there been a change in the code? I can't imagine burying conduit to come up inside the spa panel - digging out that close to the spa seems tough in the least, and dangerous.

Can someone tell me what is the correct way the spa should be corrected?

(If I picture would help, lmk and I'll take one and post it.)

We don't have enough details to answer the question.

There is a breaker panel with GFI breakers a few feet away, there is a piece of NM flex conduit running into the hot tub panel (though a hole that is provided and secures the flex conduit to the hot tub control box).

The flex conduit is the question, this electrician said it had to be rigid conduit and buried in the ground. I have never seen a small above ground spa wired this way.

Does this help? What other details would help?

There is a breaker panel with GFI breakers a few feet away, there is a piece of NM flex conduit running into the hot tub panel (though a hole that is provided and secures the flex conduit to the hot tub control box).

The flex conduit is the question, this electrician said it had to be rigid conduit and buried in the ground. I have never seen a small above ground spa wired this way.

What's the distance between the panel and the hot tub? (Is it more than 6 feet?)

Does the conduit run over the surface of a patio or walkway?

How many bends does it have? (Do they total more than 360 degrees?)

Is it plain LFNC or is it LFNC-B?

Is it in a location where it's subject to physical damage?

What's the distance between the panel and the hot tub? (Is it more than 6 feet?)

Does the conduit run over the surface of a patio or walkway?

How many bends does it have? (Do they total more than 360 degrees?)

Is it plain LFNC or is it LFNC-B?

Is it in a location where it's subject to physical damage?

* It is about 7' from the panel to the closest point on the spa.

* There is no walkway between the panel and spa.

* It is just laying on the ground, any bends are coincidental besides 90' going up into box on both ends.

* It is LFNC-B

* while it is outside, I don't believe there is anything that could cut or otherwise damage it. The stairs usually cover most of it - then it is under foliage.

I put up a couple pictures in case this helps.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20144713319_photo%201.jpg

71.03 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201447133233_photo%202.jpg

92.15 KB

Well, I can see the electrician's concern. It's definitely subject to damage there. You can't just string this stuff along the ground for 7 feet as if it were a garden hose. In addition, this conduit is supposed to be securely fastened at least every 3 feet and within 12 inches of the wiring box and the spa.

I'd suggest buried schedule 80 PVC conduit in this location.