New Fujitzu Portable Pen Tablet

Hi Folks,

Just wondering if anyone has tried out one of these new Fujitsu's and, if so, what they think.

I can't believe the way prices have come down on computers. I've gotten in the habit of ignoring all of the hype about most new computers for about two years, because I figure they'll be a whole lot cheaper later on.

I remember when FujitSu pen tablets were about $4500 for something that couldn't do half of what this one can.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I've got a damn laptop graveyard in my bsmt.; laptops are just another commodity as far as I'm concerned; use 'em, break 'em, throw 'em in the bsmt. That is, until I got a pen-based laptop......

They're all cool as can be; the Fuji's probably the same as the Compaq/Motion/Gateway/whatever. I type >100wpm, so I never really use the handwriting recognition, but I use the pen as a mouse, I make little notes on a "sticky notes" utility, I draw w/it in ArtRage, & generally find that the pen based laptops are remarkable productivity enhancing tools.

I think the Motion is the best option going right now. If you want to geek out & discuss pen bases systems ad infinitum, go to

http://tabletpcbuzz.com/forum/

I'm with Kurt, I have a nice graveyard myself. I beat hell out of them and spend as little as possible on them. I have had my "latest" though for about 2 years, a Panasonic toughbook. It doesn't take much of a computer to run inspection software. I thought the touchscreen would be a great feature but rarely actually use it.

I would be interrested in any tips to properly teach myself typing. Never took it in high school and that is my biggest problem with report writing. I've gotten damn good at hunt and peck but nowhere near a reasonable typing speed.

Yeah,

I've got the Toughbook too. Mines a CF-37 going on 4 years old. Before that, I had the Casio Fiva. I've been using touch-screen friendly software for the past 4 years and like it, but I type most of my stuff back at the office and save the laptop for those times when the client absolutely must have it right now.

I have been interested in refining that program some more though and maybe increasing the number of on-site jobs I do. That's why I'm interested. I enjoyed the Fiva, although it was very small, but I needed to haul along a portable keyboard to do my customizing. Like Kurt, I type fast, so typing is not an issue. I switched to the Toughbook so I would have an integral keyboard and still have the touch screen feature - plus it has a daylight readable screen. Still, I do like that convertible feature. That way, I don't have to be trying to balance the keyboard out of the way or accidentally hit any keys when penning the screen.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by homnspector

I would be interrested in any tips to properly teach myself typing. Never took it in high school and that is my biggest problem with report writing. I've gotten damn good at hunt and peck but nowhere near a reasonable typing speed.

Mavis Bacon Teaches Typing has been out for years. Have a look here, you may find it cheaper elsewhere. I have'nt used it myself so I can't comment on how good it is.

http://www.broderbund.com/jump.jsp?item ... &ovtac=PPC

I bought a Fujitsu P1100 when they came out. Great little laptop, a little slow with it's 800 mhz Crusoe chip. I loved using the pen at first, then found I used it less and less.

I have big hands....and you know what they say about guys with big hands....if not, here goes "Guys with big hands have a helluva time typing on small keyboards." As much as I loved the unit, I sold it after a few months because it slowed me down typing. It actually took me longer to do the reports.

The other downside was that it didn't come with a CD player. I had to buy an external CD player so I could download software onto the laptop.

I highly recommend the largest battery. I bought the upgraded battery and mine seemed to run forever on a single charge. (it would last for two inspections and still have enough power to proof and polish the reports back at the office that night)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using one for the past month doing the FEMA gig. It runs a long time on the battery, recognizes even my handwriting pretty well and seems durable given the fact that I used it as weapon against a rotweiler. His face didn't survive as well as the Fujitsu.

I don't really know how well it handles programs because it comes only with what they want you have but it runs 5 or 6 programs simultaneously and it doesn't seem to slow down.

Fritz,

Mavis Beacon is the ticket. I did take typing in school which was one of the classes I cut often since it was my last.......... Then years after College I had to re-aquaint myself with those damn desk top computers. Mavis Beacon training (not sure which version it was) re-paved my typing skills.

Good Luck!!