Boiler Question

Jim Katen

I see few modern boilers and have never taken one apart.

This 1994 Burnham boiler's right exterior jacket was badly toasted and deteriorated. When I removed the sheet metal exterior, I could see the boiler sections with these three metal plates bolted between them and sealed in place with high-temp caulk.

Are these plates original equipment, or were they a retrofit, or are they original equipment that's been re-fitted in place?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201463161454_IMG_0063%20(Large).jpg

38.89 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201463161519_IMG_0064%20(Large).jpg

52.7 KB

Those are the routine manufacturer-designed 'boiler flue cleaning covers' Jim.. the flues get brush-cleaned by removal of those covers.. the spaces between the cast iron sections are 'accessed at that area'.. Soot, crap, sulphur (if oil)... etc..

They usually get re-installed with furnace cement ... If there was a major draft problem with the chimney.. sometimes it's evidenced there..

That sometimes happens to jackets when the heat shields adjacent to the burners fall out of place or deteriorate. Flue gases condense in the insulation behind the jackets.

I actually considered that and paid special attention to the condition of the firebox. It looked very good. Also, after running for several cycles, the outside of the jacket was still cool enough to touch. I suspect that whatever was ailing it had been fixed for the time being.