This is tempting.

Robert Jones

Every dang time that man talks about something, I gotta get one.

I've a #12 on order.

Marc

Forgot to say.....get the carbon steel, not the stainless. Never tried the stainless cuz the carbon is so nice.

That's what I got. Never noticed the stainless.

Marc

I've a #12 on order.

Marc

I'll be interested to see what you think. Folks that understand steel usually like them.

Knife has arrived. Handle is very lightweight, makes you feel how heavy the blade is. Ripped the packing slip in two like a samurai sword despite the thick blade. Locks securely so you don't have to worry about it closing accidentally and injuring you. Like it.

I'd take a photo but I don't have the requisite slippers.

Marc

I've a #12 on order.

Marc

I'll be interested to see what you think. Folks that understand steel usually like them.

Knife has arrived. Handle is very lightweight, makes you feel how heavy the blade is. Ripped the packing slip in two like a samurai sword despite the thick blade. Locks securely so you don't have to worry about it closing accidentally and injuring you. Like it.

I'd take a photo but I don't have the requisite slippers.

Marc

Now you're going to need one in each size.

How easy is it to sharpen? The beauty of the carbon steel is it's amazingly easy to sharpen to a razor edge, and it holds it as well as any of my stainless blades.

Stainless is overrated for daily use knives AFAIC.

I will buy you a stainless steel Opinel and let you tell us how easy it is to sharpen and how well it holds an edge. Sent me your mailing address. Subject: Opinel Challenge

Sorry. I sent you a No. 12 before I viewed your post. I hope that you will use it every day for a while and let us know how it works for you. Please remember that you are reviewing the Sandvik stainless steel used for the Opinel knives. Many knife manufacturers use a different stainless steel than Opinel.

I'm stoked. I got my sharpening station set up, ready to give it a fair work out.

I'll get both blades to an optimum edge, then experiment with some cutting and slicing on different materials. I'll be fair.

I'm thinking some abuse with cutting cardboard. I'll do some food slicing. I got a chunk of end grain white ash....I'll try and peel some end grain curls. I got a good steel to keep them burnished.

What else would be a good test procedure?

I'm stoked. I got my sharpening station set up, ready to give it a fair work out.

I'll get both blades to an optimum edge, then experiment with some cutting and slicing on different materials. I'll be fair.

I'm thinking some abuse with cutting cardboard. I'll do some food slicing. I got a chunk of end grain white ash....I'll try and peel some end grain curls. I got a good steel to keep them burnished.

What else would be a good test procedure?

Toss a persimmon in the air and slice it in half - twice - before it hits the ground. Extra points for doing it blindfolded, like Zatoichi.