Studied for two months to take the NHIE...

jschway

Took a 120 hour class

Read four HI books that I found on amazon.

Took every pre-test I could.

Scheduled the exam and showed up 45 minute early only to be turned away because their server was down. [:-weepn]

Any thing else I can study?

This does give me the opportunity to shadow a local HI.

Yes, the "Code Check Complete" book is the best study guide. I would think that with the 120 hour class and the additional studying that you should be prepared fairly well.

A word of caution?.If you have done well on practice exams and questions put out by a home inspector organization out of Colorado they are not the best measurement tool of your knowledge?.

Took a 120 hour class

Read four HI books that I found on amazon.

Took every pre-test I could.

Scheduled the exam and showed up 45 minute early only to be turned away because their server was down. [:-weepn]

Any thing else I can study?

This does give me the opportunity to shadow a local HI.

As you start the test be sure to answer all of the questions that you have a quick answer to. Skip any questions that you need to think about. You can always come back to those questions later. This approach will give you the confidence you need to continue the test without questioning your answers.

The last thing that you want to do is not answer questions were you know the answer. Once you start answering the questions that you know all your nerves will go away.

Good luck!

Remember, it's a basic test about beginner level knowledge. I know some who can look under a kitchen sink or bathroom sink at the drain pipe and "just know" it's the right size. But ask them on a test which is 1 1/4 and which is 1 1/2 and they have to stop and think about it.

• 1 month later...

Since I let my OK license lap a few years ago, I had to take the NHIE to get them back.

Took the test a couple months ago. Studied Code Check and NACHI test questions. Neither really helped that much. First question out of the box showed me a poor illustration of some type of contraption I'd never seen. By deducting what it had, I narrowed it down to a steam boiler...i think....

The rest of the test went pretty much that way. More of a "pick the BEST answer" stuff. I was totally expecting code check stuff but that's not what I got!

I ended up with something like a 678 (if I remember correctly) Testing guy said it was the best score he'd seen for that test. I wasn't impressed.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd study basic HI books with lots of illustrations.

No boiler questions on my NHIE test 13 years ago.

Does anyone know if the questions pulled for a particular NHIE exam are influenced by the geographic or climatic location of the exam site? Never seen a boiler with my own eyes this far south.

Marc

No boiler questions on my NHIE test 13 years ago.

Does anyone know if the questions pulled for a particular NHIE exam are influenced by the geographic or climatic location of the exam site? Never seen a boiler with my own eyes this far south.

Marc

I do good remembering what I had for lunch!

Marc, the NHIE is not area specific. It is a national exam that way if a person moves from one area of the country to the other the same exam is accepted by 30+ states.

The exam has changed over the years with the biggest change being the way the test questions are pulled from a pool of questions for each exam. It use to be that the exam had two "forms" or test. Out of those two test the questions were just jumbled around for each taker, so no two ever had questions in the same order. A few years back the item bank (question pool) reached a point that they had enough questions in it that they could pull random questions from the pool for each exam. It's a little more complicated but that is the basic way the NHIE questions are done.