Impact Resistantant Glass Labeling?

Charlie R

What labels should I see in the corner of impact resistant glass for high wind areas - ASTM 1996 & ASTM 1886? This type of glass is not normally found in my inspection area but I am looking at a home next week that says in the listing that the home was built with impact resistant glass and the client has asked me to look at the windows to see if it really is that rating or just tempered glass.

TIA

As of 2009, 'Impact Rated' was the only recognized term. 'Impact Resistant' may likely be another of several made-up terms designed to fool homeowners and inspectors.

It's either a label or etching. Accepted labeling includes:

Miami-Dade County Product Approval

Florida Building Code

SSTD12

ASTM E-1886

ASTM E-1996

TAS 201

TAS 202

TAS 203

Other testing agencies include:

Texas Dept of Insurance

ICC Evaluation Service

Approvals expire after 3 years. Unless re-submitted for testing, they are no longer approved.

Safest, easiest way to confirm approval is go to approvalzoom.com before the inspection, make yourself familiar with the type and location of data you need from the window, door, shutter or other component, do the inspection, collect the data you need, then find that exact component at approvalzoom.com

If in doubt, send me a picture of the label(s) and/or info in the etching. Approval confirmation can be difficult sometimes.

Marc

Thanks Mark, this information is good to know.

I don't do much home inspecting in areas that require impact rated glass. Is this something that home inspectors are required to determine? It seems to be a code issue that is beyond our scope of work.

As an aside, I visited the Andersen Window factory in Hudson, Wisconsin. They demonstrated the testing of the impact rated windows and it was impressive. They shot a 2 x 4 at the window and then fired a second round. The window is required to take two hits. No wonder they are so much more expensive.

Thanks Mark, this information is good to know.

I don't do much home inspecting in areas that require impact rated glass. Is this something that home inspectors are required to determine? It seems to be a code issue that is beyond our scope of work.

As an aside, I visited the Andersen Window factory in Hudson, Wisconsin. They demonstrated the testing of the impact rated windows and it was impressive. They shot a 2 x 4 at the window and then fired a second round. The window is required to take two hits. No wonder they are so much more expensive.

It's not required by Louisiana's SOP. I don't think it's required by Louisiana building codes either. We always lag behind the other Gulf states when it comes to adopting laws that make homes more hurricane resilient.

The test allows shattering but not penetration of a 9 lb 2X4 traveling at 50 fps.

Marc