Tablet size?

Hello all!

I'm considering different size tablets to use with Inspector Pro or Homegauge.

Does anyone currently use a tablet, and if so, what size works best? I have a 12" one where I work at now, and its too big.

I'm just wondering can I get away with an 8" one with a good flash on the camera? Or is 7" the way to go?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

I use a 7" Samsung tablet with HG. Been using separate camera not the tablet camera. I wish there were some better small tablets with good cameras and flash. Allot of inspectors seem to like the Samsung Notes for running HG companion. I might try one to see if it's big enough for me.

I use a 3x5 note pad and a pen. I have never had a 3x5 note pad crash.

I use a 7" Samsung tablet with HG. Been using separate camera not the tablet camera. I wish there were some better small tablets with good cameras and flash. Allot of inspectors seem to like the Samsung Notes for running HG companion. I might try one to see if it's big enough for me.

I use a 3x5 note pad and a pen. I have never had a 3x5 note pad crash.

Mine's a 8 1/2 by 14 sheet on a clipboard. Occasionally, I'll get what I call a 'problem child' and flip the sheet...but, like yours, it won't crash.

Marc

They're using tablets as the all in one data input, camera, press a hot button on screen and comments appear, notepad-izing method of inspecting, which most folks that have been doing this for a while know to be pretty lousy.

No amount of logic or practical experience will ever convince tablet loving inspecto-philes that tablet inspecting methods are lousy. If they do this job long enough, they'll figure it out, though.

It kind of has to come as an epiphany. Epiphanies often happen after one drops their iPhone/iPad into a sump, or off a roof.

I used a laptop onsite for 8 years. I took a while getting use to a tablet, been using HG Companion (mobile) for over a year and would never go back to a laptop or handwritten notes of any type. I pack the tablet on me, have a small pouch that fits tablet and camera. After gathering data with tablet I upload the report to the cloud and pull it down into the HG desktop software, takes about 15 seconds and is real slick. There are many ways to use mobile device on site, some people pack the small tablets or lg. phones with them, some prefer using a larger tablet and leave it inside.

They're using tablets as the all in one data input, camera, press a hot button on screen and comments appear, notepad-izing method of inspecting, which most folks that have been doing this for a while know to be pretty lousy.

No amount of logic or practical experience will ever convince tablet loving inspecto-philes that tablet inspecting methods are lousy. If they do this job long enough, they'll figure it out, though.

It kind of has to come as an epiphany. Epiphanies often happen after one drops their iPhone/iPad into a sump, or off a roof.

While I get where your coming from, I have been on both sides of the fence after doing this for 20 plus years. I started with 4 part carbonless forms and no photos, simple and effective, and the report was finished when I left the inspection.

I wrote the report in long hand, few check boxes, no canned comments, but times have changed.

I can deliver a better report for the client with a computer and the tablet is simply an extension of my desktop computer.

I've tried many variants of laptops, pocket PC, etc.

I use my tablet to record and document data.(period)

Even though it has a camera, I use a real stand alone camera and upload the photos all at once. I would use my current software if only for the photo editing/uploading process, quick and painless.

I have tried many times to get back to finishing and delivering the report on site, I can't get comfortable doing so no matter what process or system I have tried. My current software has that capability but "I" am not comfortable using it in that manner. So I use a hybrid process. I "write" the report to about 90% complete on site with the tablet then finish and polish it back at the office. Still the tablet is much faster for data entry for mundane repetitive stuff and pretty quick even if I have to "thumb type" something new.

My tablet stays in the truck or on the kitchen counter until I'm finished inspecting. Often I'm working on the report over lunch before heading to the afternoon inspection or I'm sitting in the truck waiting for the client to arrive. I tried using the tablet as I inspected but I could not get used to that. I inspect with a flashlight on one holster and camera in the other.

That's me. Machine in the kitchen.

I'll allow as to how I've used my tablet effectively when going through big apartment buildings and I'm just inventorying stuff w/very basic notes. I built a little checklist in Filemaker that runs on my iPad, and it works OK. I still don't like carrying an electronic device while I'm inspecting though. It's distracting.

The tablet adds about an hour to the field portion of a 3 hour inspection.

It makes sense to some people but I prefer to write the report after the field work is done.

I did forestry field work for many years before home inspections.

Get the info and get out. Then set up a cozy spot to write it up. Best use of the time.

I use an iPad that stays in the kitchen. I use it to fill in my template with data from the inspection, by the time I leave about 95% of my report is done and all I need to do is upload photos and clean up verbiage when I get back to the office. I use a real camera for photos. It's kind hard to hold a smartphone or table with one hand and snap a photo. Plus my camera is waterproof, dirt proof and Scott proof! My iPad is not!

I use HIP.

Originally posted by Scottpat

I use an iPad that stays in the kitchen. I use it to fill in my template with data from the inspection, by the time I leave about 95% of my report is done and all I need to do is upload photos and clean up verbiage when I get back to the office. I use a real camera for photos. It's kind hard to hold a smartphone or table with one hand and snap a photo. Plus my camera is waterproof, dirt proof and Scott proof! My iPad is not!

I use HIP.

[/quo

I am with you Scott. My little camera takes great pictures in dark spaces!

• 3 years later...
On 1/23/2020 at 12:37 PM, dannyghostwriter said:

Im using tablet as well, but after a while I just found out that was the biggest mistake. I just dropped my new one, next time notebook or laptop. Im unlucky. First one was destroyed by my kids and now that. iPad Air 64GB. :-)

If you have butterfingers, what's to stop you from dropping a notebook or laptop? Why not invest in a rugged case for whatever you use? 

we hire holders. 

They shadow us at about 10', seldom speak unless asked, usually younger (to carry ladders), long slender fingers and prehensile thumbs for data entry,  journeyman photographers, and graduates of Acme Charm School and Dance Academy.  We have only lost one - reached over the inspector's shoulder to point out a double-tap, while the cover was off the entrance panel.  

• Like 1