Mud sills need strapping?

Denray

I don't see why strapping would be needed in a crawl. That's just to keep drywall nails (interior finish fasteners) from puncturing wires/pipes.

Does the mud sill play a part in the structural integrity of the rim joist? By design? I don't think so.

Marc

...are there no anchors set into the top of that wall?

Jim raises a good point. If there are anchor bolts they secure the sill. If there are no anchor bolts, why is that house still sitting there? [:)]

Plank subfloor- old house. Anchor bolts may not have been required when the place was built. Missing anchor bolts can cause insurance agents to run for cover.

. . . Plank subfloor- old house.. . .

Hey, speak for yourself. We still occasionally use car decking subfloors here.

Must be where the wood goes when it is shipped from here....

Send it here.

Marc

Years ago when I worked at a lumber yard they had your typical lumber grades #1,#2,#3, they had one grade better than #1, no knots at all,This was called "J" grade, this dimensional lumber got loaded into sea cans and went to Japan.

I actually remember when Lumberman's Warehouse was still supplying the Midwest with WR Cedar and crystal clear Doug Fir.

We'd order bunks of cedar (about 1000bf), and if there was a knot or split in any board, we'd send it back and the yard guy would apologize and give us a new one.

Then, like Kaiser Soze', it was gone.....