Rust Stains on Vinyl Siding

Mike Lamb

If that's bleed through (which I doubt), it would be nails from the sheathing bleeding though the WRB as well as the siding as there wouldn't be nails in those locations to secure the siding... so not likely...

It is interesting that the marks are aligned vertically - was the siding staggered? (to rule out some contaminant in the box pre-installation)

The positioning of the nails is too even for it to be something that was leaning against the siding, especially since the siding is not a flat surface. I once saw vinyl siding where you could seen marks on the siding from nails behind the siding. It was all over at least one side of the house. The stains were not from rust. I never did figure out the cause (or I forgot).

The positioning of the nails is too even for it to be something that was leaning against the siding, especially since the siding is not a flat surface. I once saw vinyl siding where you could seen marks on the siding from nails behind the siding. It was all over at least one side of the house. The stains were not from rust. I never did figure out the cause (or I forgot).

I'm suggesting that it's a thing that gets leaned against the siding repeatedly, at different heights and positions each time.

I see nail marks on vinyl siding every so often, but they appear as light spots. I suspect that they're the result of different temperatures where the nail heads are. I've tried but have been unable to clean or wash away the light spots.