Balcony flashing breakthru?

Marc

These balconies are showing up by the hundreds in new subdivisions around me. I had thought that it was not possible to properly flash a deck that sits on joists that are simply extensions of interior joists.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2016912221834_Photo_6.jpg

35.7 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2016912222210_Photo_33.jpg

21.42 KB

Has there been a breakthru in deck flashing?

Marc

Even though the joists may penetrate the wall, I see what looks like a ledger of sorts above the joists. Is it possible that could be flashed well enough to prevent water intrusion?

That's a flashing/counterflashing pair. The flashing part is a pan. The counterflashing does not extend horizontally beyond the threshold of the door.

Perhaps the reasoning is that it acts as a narrow roof of sorts to keep rainwater from reaching the unflashed areas beneath it. It doesn't inspire me and I can't decide whether to write it up.

Marc

I wrote it up: An inspection once every three years by a licensed contractor, licensed architect or licensed engineer. Hopefully it'll intercept the rot before it causes a collapse but more likely it'll just end up as a CYA on my part for the day when a balcony does collapses, folks get hurt and the lawyers come running.

Marc

• 2 months later...

Marc,

That sounds like a good approach. I don't see any other way to treat that other than an ongoing maintenance issue. Hopefully there is some type of peal and seal membrane wrapping the cantilevered joists from the house wrap to the surface of the stucco, but even that can fail over time. That design defies a good water-proofing solution.

Jon

I had thought that it was not possible to properly flash a deck that sits on joists that are simply extensions of interior joists.

After framing, before moisture barrier and siding is installed, a header flashing gets installed over the joists. Then the siding, etc. becomes the counter flashing. Then the deck boards get put on. Doors need their own pan flashing. Coordinating everything right during construction is a perfect storm.

Most thru wall joists I see have no flashing and get caulked all around. I'm not that concerned about rot. They leak into the building.

I had thought that it was not possible to properly flash a deck that sits on joists that are simply extensions of interior joists.

After framing, before moisture barrier and siding is installed, a header flashing gets installed over the joists. Then the siding, etc. becomes the counter flashing. Then the deck boards get put on. Doors need their own pan flashing. Coordinating everything right during construction is a perfect storm.

Most thru wall joists I see have no flashing and get caulked all around. I'm not that concerned about rot. They leak into the building.

Rot is a definite concern here, where I have seen in recent years, manufactured I-beams with the OSB webs, cantilevered out of the walls of wood condo buildings. OSB soaks up water and rots 10 times quicker than solid wood beams or fir 2 X 10's.

Is it possible that those don't go through the wall at all and that they are made to fit around some steel that's tied into the structure behind the wall cladding, so it only looks like the balcony is supported by those timbers?

No. This new subdivision is three, four miles from my home. I watched these houses go up. No structural steel here.

There are several dozen with this issue.

Marc