E&O Insurance

gerald morgan

I'll be buying E&O and General Liability Insurance soon. I've been looking at InspectorPro and Orep. Does anyone have an opinion on either of these or another company?

You only know how good they are when you need them! If I'm not mistaken the two you listed are kind of like a club. They have something like a master policy that covers all of their members. BRP, Target, Elite MGA, BNK are agents for major carriers. I would contact Niccole Barnes with BNK nbarnes@bnkins.com or Ben Garrison with Elite bgarrison@elitemga.com

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/27/2016 at 2:08 PM, Scottpat said:

You only know how good they are when you need them! If I'm not mistaken the two you listed are kind of like a club. They have something like a master policy that covers all of their members. BRP, Target, Elite MGA, BNK are agents for major carriers. I would contact Niccole Barnes with BNK nbarnes@bnkins.com or Ben Garrison with Elite bgarrison@elitemga.com

Hi, @Scottpat!

Know it's been a while since you wrote this, but I want to make sure to set the record straight: We at InspectorPro are definitely not a club, and I don't think OREP is either. We don't write master policies that cover all of our members.

There are only two companies I'm aware of that go the master policy route: BPG Inspections has had a master policy for their inspectors for quite some time. And I believe Pillar To Post has offered a master policy as an option to its members, but PTP doesn't require its inspectors to be a part of the master policy like BPG does.

As for major providers, I think we deserve to be on the list. We've been selling tailor-made home inspection insurance policies for over 10 years, which is longer than many of the others you listed. 😉

Hope that helps!

Stephanie

Anddd I know I'm replying six months later, but in case I can still be of help to you or another TIJ reader....

On 7/24/2017 at 1:29 PM, RK52 said:

Hi guys,

I'll be opening in a couple months, and I'm getting my E&O and liability sorted out.

The above listed companies do pretty much the same? Do any stand apart from the rest?

@RK52: Full disclosure: I work for InspectorPro, so I AM biased. However, I hope to give you a factual rather than a salesy response so you can make an educated purchasing decision.

We actually wrote an article about three important differentiators to examine when comparing insurance providers. You can find the article in the ASHI Reporter here.

Now, in addressing how we compare specifically, I'd say that we at InspectorPro stand out from our competitors with our...

• Pre-claims assistance: No one does it like we do. We don't charge--no cost per claim, no increase to premiums. It's just free with your policy. And it's successful. Our pre-claims team stifles 85 percent of complaints before they turn into claims. Read more about how we do pre-claims assistance here.
  • Customer service: Because the home inspection industry is a bit niche, most insurance providers don't have a team dedicated to home inspectors alone. One of the common reasons inspectors switch to us at renewal is pretty simple: We answer the phone and our emails. And we know what we're talking about, so we can be a resource for insurance, claims, and risk management questions. (Don't get me started on our risk management education. 😉) Our customer service seems to be the main talking point in our Facebook reviews. (Read them here.)
  • Comprehensive coverage: If you read the shopping insurance article I mentioned earlier, it talks about cheap tricks that some insurance companies will play to seem as if they have lower rates. We don't do sublimits. And we don't do self-insured retentions. You get what you pay for.
On 9/2/2017 at 3:31 PM, RK52 said:

I read, recently, that OREP also has group medical plans. 11 from Kaiser....

Do any of you use OREP for this purpose?

How do you go about personal medical coverage?

OREP does offer medical plans, and you don't need to carry OREP's home inspection insurance (E&O or GL) to qualify for their health insurance. For California residents, they offer plans through three carriers: Kaiser, Allied National, and United Healthcare. They also offer short-term medical coverage in a few states for people in between jobs or waiting for coverage through Allied National. Get info on OREP's medical coverage here.

Now, what I don't know is whether there are any discounts associated with OREP's medical coverage. For example, if you got a quote through OREP for Kaiser, would it be cheaper? Or would you get the same rate if you went straight to Kaiser? You may have to apply to find out.

Hope my belated insights help!

Stephanie

• 4 months later...