New Project Maplewood

Here's some photos of a new building I started in May.

Its a 3-story building w/underground parking.

There are 5 retail spaces between the basement and 1st floor and theres 20 apartments on the upper 2 floors.

The 1st floor is a 10" structural slab while the 2nd floor is a 12" structural slab.

The 3rd floor is a wood truss deck.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Footings.jpg

777.97 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Ufer.jpg

779.66 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Foundation.jpg

597.02 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Slabongrade.jpg

530.28 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Rebar.jpg

579.45 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Frame1.jpg

428.77 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Frame2.jpg

334.23 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Trusses.jpg

512.43 KB

What's the white feathery plastic clinging to the outside of the stem wall in the "foundation" picture? I've never seen forms lined with sheet plastic.

Around here, elevated slabs like that are all post-tensioned nowadays. Is there a reason that the designers chose not to do it on this job, or is that not a common technique in your area?

Jim,

The foundation wall is 18" think with a 6 inch brick shelf. The mason doubled up on 3" insulation as the shelf block-out and installed plastic between the insulation and the wall form.

It was the first time I've ever seen the metal lath forms being used. It saved time and money; the forms were left in place after the pour; no stripping needed.

In my 35 years of construction, I've done all structural steel building; this is the first structural concrete job.

If you look in the rebar photo, you'll see sleeves for plumbing, electric and HVAC.

One of the stipulations on this project is nothing can penetrate the exterior walls. There are 20 apartments, all with gas fired direct vent furnaces. The exhaust and fresh air intact PVC must run up and out the roof. The good thing is the apartments are stacked; layout on 3rd floor is exactly as 2nd floor.

After the slab forms were in place, we had to layout the apartment walls prior to rebar to install the sleeves. Most were good, however, some of the sleeves were next to a door and now have to be moved because of the door header is blocking passage.

Photos will keep coming.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...