How Do You Report When There's Snow On The Roof?

hausdok

"ROOF, FLASHINGS, CHIMNEY: At the time of the inspection, snow was covering the entire roof and these items could not be completely evaluated. If requested, we can return to the property; however, we must be notified when the roof is clear. We will then make one revisit when our schedule permits".

I have to return to about 40%. I probably killed the deal on the rest.

In Michigan we get a lot of snow. I inspect close to a hundred homes a winter when the roof are not visible do to snow cover. I document the fact that the roof was not visible and take a digital photo for our files.

I do not offer to come back for a re-inspect. The snow may stay on the roof for weeks or a month at a time. Contingencies have long since expired by the time the snow melts.

On the rare occasion a client whats me to look at the roof in the spring, I will do it at no charge as long as I can do it at my convenience. We charge if they want an appointment.

Originally posted by Jim Morrison

I tell my clients there's nothing I can tell them about what's covered with snow. If they want me to come back when it's clear, we charge them in almost every case.

Me too. I also tell them that there may be concealed problems such as damaged or missing shingles, loose flashings, etc..

I try to limit expectations during the initial phone call. This last week we had 12 inches of snow and who knows when I will be able to evaluate a roof again. I inform my clients of the limitations again at the time of inspection. I write in the report that the roof was not viewable due to snow covering. I always take a picture of the front of the house and put it on my cover page this also helps in showing the conditions at the time of the inspection. I try to direct the client to find out the age of the roof and give them general life spans of the products. I also make sure I investigate those attics paying close attention to typical areas for leaks. I do not offer to reinspect and have not had any problems to date with this. This issue not only effects roofs but also grading issues. Darn tough to judge grade under a foot of snow[:-blindfo

I tell my client before I get to the inspections that I can't tell them what I can't see I also put in my inspection comments and the roofing sections of the report that snow on roof prevented inspection of roof.I stress at the inspections that the roof is covered with snow so it is impossible to properly evaluate.I don't offer to come back and so far have never been asked to.

John Callan

www.customizedhomeinspections.com