What's up with this shingle rep?

DonTx

Perhaps it this new diet I'm on, but here lately I've been on a tear concerning shingles. I've had Clients get several new roofs because of sloppy installation.

Now this morning I hear back from a client who's new shingle job I recommended a rep to take a look at, just knowing he was gonna tell 'em to replace the whole mess. Client say's that the CertainTeed rep said there was nothing wrong with how the shingles were installed and that this was their new patented WideTrac nailing pattern??

Anyhow, I was a little peeved and asked the Client to forward me the letter from the rep when he get's it...funny thing is, he's not getting the letter until after he closes!

Anyhow, you take a look and tell me what you think.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif IMG_5833.jpg

105.31 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif IMG_5834.jpg

86.59 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif IMG_5850.jpg

71.07 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif IMG_5857.jpg

67.76 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif IMG_5860.jpg

83.97 KB

Oh yeah, That definately looks like the all new systems I've seen. I think the idea is that gravity will hold it in place because the installer didn't actually intend to blow the nails through the shingle. Also wind and rain are apparently no longer interested in damaging roofs. When they get the letter won't matter as long as they have it in writing after the first heavy weather. I would tell them to make sure that the guaranty covers interior damages in the event this fella is mistaken.

Originally posted by Donald Lawson

. . .and that this was their new patented WideTrac nailing pattern??

What the heck is WideTrac?

Anyhow, you take a look and tell me what you think.

For sure, PSI was too high on the roofer's gun(s). Just saw a brand new home last week just like this. No worries, you have that rep call me and I'll send my people to take care of him![;)]

Bill, I asked the Client if the rep even went up on a ladder or looked at my report, they didn't know, just that they'd be getting a letter from him. I told them that CertainTeed would be getting a letter from me with all 30+ pictures of the roof and a copy of their own installation instructions.

What is WideTrac? I dunno myself. Clients said the rep told them it was some type of patented shingle that could have the nails spaced further apart. I told them it sounded like B.S. because there was nothing on CertainTeed's website about it. "If it was indeed so great, don't you think CertainTeed would put it up on their website?" I asked.

Bain, don't be silly. You can't burn new homes here, the wood is too green and the paint is full of water! LOL

Originally posted by Donald Lawson

. . . What is WideTrac? I dunno myself. Clients said the rep told them it was some type of patented shingle that could have the nails spaced further apart. I told them it sounded like B.S. because there was nothing on CertainTeed's website about it. "If it was indeed so great, don't you think CertainTeed would put it up on their website?" I asked. . .

About two years ago, Certainteed changed the construction of their shingles to allow a much wider space for fasteners. Instead of a single line on which the fastener must be placed, there are two lines. The fasteners can go anywhere between the lines. I believe that's what they're referring to by "wide trac." You can see these lines in your pictures.

They did this in response to roofers who complained that it was too difficult to hit the line every time. Instead of arguing about it, they changed the product. I think that's pretty smart of them.

They sent me a letter boasting about the new product about 2-1/2 years ago. It was actually addressed to me, personally. I have no idea how they got my name.

In your pictures I mostly see overdriven nails and missing nails. When I see this on a new roof, I recommend re-nailing the roof. It actually goes pretty quickly, it yields a perfectly good installation and it's way cheaper than replacing the shingles.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Jim, thanks for the response.

I figured that they may have been talking about the vertical nail spacing, however their current installation instructions still require a nail to be placed 1 inch from the edge.

Also, another picture that I didn't show in the post above was one where the returns did not have felt paper under the shingles.

I'll be going back out in a few days for a re-inspect. I'm going to recheck the roof to see if they've added nails.

Update:

My Client forwarded me a copy of the letter from the CertainTeed Rep. It's pretty obvious after reading the letter that this idiot did not even go out to the home and look at it. He must have taken the roofers or builders word for it.

That would explain why I didn't see any ladder marks at the time of re-inspection other than those from my LG that were made at the time of the original inspection.

This fixin' to get good....