Does this look like mold?

It all starts with dirt. Dust in the air mixed with moisture from poor air flow, and then not wiping away the algae that grows on the dirt. If those surfaces were clean, there'd be nothing there.

Renters tend to blame their landlord for this type of thing, but it is often due to poor house-keeping and turning the heat down too much, allowing moisture to condense on the walls.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2020 at 10:41 PM, John Kogel said:

It all starts with dirt. Dust in the air mixed with moisture from poor air flow, and then not wiping away the algae that grows on the dirt. If those surfaces were clean, there'd be nothing there.

Renters tend to blame their landlord for this type of thing, but it is often due to poor house-keeping and turning the heat down too much, allowing moisture to condense on the walls.

Went on vacation and came back to this on ever suface except metal ones (fridge stove etc) my apartment was spotless when I left. Theres been a moldy smell since I moved in.

On 10/13/2020 at 9:40 PM, Jim Katen said:

This is your 5th post. It says so right under your avatar. You submitted your 1st post on September 30th; it's at the top of this thread and contains 5 pictures. Eleven days later, you said that you went on vacation and came back to find a thick black layer everywhere. 

These are replies to the posted topic not individual posts, but my apartment was cleaned to the best of my abilities. I wiped down every surface thoroughly. The thermostat was at the lowest it could possibly go but was defective and base heater would turn on during the day regardless of the setting even during summer months. 

Each message that you write is a "post." That's how the internet works. 

So you're saying that the first pictures that you posted on this thread are what you came back to after returning from vacation and that before the vacation, your house was spotless. How long was your vacation? 10 years? 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Jim Katen said:

Each message that you write is a "post." That's how the internet works. 

So you're saying that the first pictures that you posted on this thread are what you came back to after returning from vacation and that before the vacation, your house was spotless. How long was your vacation? 10 years? 

Jim, while I love that you speak with deserved conviction and share your knowledge freely, when you slip into sarcasm, we don't get to see the best side of you.

Admittedly, it can be more than a little tiresome when yet another tenant shows up on this home inspection forum looking for back-up in a fight with a landlord but although not everyone understands or respects boundaries, everyone needs a place to live.

Maybe when ArVandelay  is looking to buy their own place, they can remember the inspectors here treated them with dignity and compassion.

2 hours ago, ejager said:

Jim, while I love that you speak with deserved conviction and share your knowledge freely, when you slip into sarcasm, we don't get to see the best side of you.

Admittedly, it can be more than a little tiresome when yet another tenant shows up on this home inspection forum looking for back-up in a fight with a landlord but although not everyone understands or respects boundaries, everyone needs a place to live.

Maybe when ArVandelay  is looking to buy their own place, they can remember the inspectors here treated them with dignity and compassion.

Jim's ahead of you, like..so far ahead you can barely see him. Post here a couple thousand times more and perhaps you'll get it.

2 hours ago, Marc said:

Jim's ahead of you, like..so far ahead you can barely see him. Post here a couple thousand times more and perhaps you'll get it.

Jim: My apologies if I came across as better than, or even in the same league, as you.

As someone who has been reading these pages for over 14 years (but a participant for only 11), I have learned to add "Katen" to any Google search when trying to verify anything for my own knowledge and home inspection reports. Your battles here with (someone now banned I believe ) were epic!

More than once I have been the beneficiary of your "efficient use of language" in correcting both my questions and my understanding. And for that I am grateful.

I will not apologize however, for pointing out behaviour unbecoming.

I "get" being exasperated with yet another mold question especially when someone is not taking responsibility for their part in the problem, however - no amount of expertise justifies hostility even when disguised as humour. Its not representative of the professionalism of our craft, of the professionalism I have seen many people here, including - maybe even especially you, exhibit, nor, of the professionalism we are all capable of exhibiting everyday. It is up to all of us, to hold ourselves up to a higher standard, and support each other to do the same.

Marc: If that was not how I came across, please let me know and I will try do it differently in the future.

4 hours ago, ejager said:

Marc: If that was not how I came across, please let me know and I will try do it differently in the future.

For the time being, I'd suggest reading Jim K's post more, writing less.

It took me years to figure what the heck Kurt M was talking about, but when I did, my respect for him went sky high. Jim's in the same league as Kurt. He has a lot to teach but you have to listen closely and read between his lines to get his meaning.  You'll see. He's actually a very gentle and kind man. One of the most composed and collected I've ever known.

There's no need for anyone here to apologize to me. I welcome all feedback, especially when I slip over onto the assaholic side of my personality. So thanks for the reminder. I'll try to behave. 

ArVandelay24, if you haven't left in disgust, please accept my apology for the sarcastic and unhelpful comments. 

Perhaps it would help if you were to not think of mold as a problem. Instead, think of it as a symptom. Mold in a house is *always* and without exception, a symptom of a water problem. If your house was thoroughly clean before you left on vacation, then this mold is also a symptom of a dirt infiltration problem. That is, air pressure (including but not limited to wind) might be driving dirt into your house through the window weather seals and depositing a fine film of dirt on the surfaces. This would be simple to test. Thoroughly clean the ceramic tiles next to the window in your first picture and wait to see whether or not dirt accumulates over time. 

Once dirt accumulates, John Kogel's response, early in this thread, pretty much nailed what's going on. Keeping the house cool lowers the dew point of the air and makes condensation much more likely. Once condensation becomes chronic, everything stays damp and the mold grows. If you keep the place clean, warm, and dry, mold won't grow. 

The photo of the tile on what looks like the sill of a window opening indicates a thickness of wall consistent with typical basement wall.

There are two kinds of basements.  Those that leak and those that will leak.

If it is a basement dwelling it likely has always been a little dank, a little musty, even a little moisty.

11 hours ago, Jim Baird said:

The photo of the tile on what looks like the sill of a window opening indicates a thickness of wall consistent with typical basement wall.

There are two kinds of basements.  Those that leak and those that will leak.

If it is a basement dwelling it likely has always been a little dank, a little musty, even a little moisty.

His IP address indicates Las Vegas. . .