Newbie here

Hi all,

I'm just a 17 year old kid trying to figure out what to do with my life, and more specifically, how I will support myself. I came across home inspection and it sounded interesting to me. I'm also interested in remodeling and actually fixing problems rather than just pointing them out. However, I am a girl, I have literally no construction experience, nor do I know anyone who does construction. I saw that there was an Associate's of Science program for construction at my local community college, but I feel like there must be better ways to gain experience if I'm going to be a home inspector. Sadly, there was not a program for home inspection at said college (but there was a program for building inspection)

So I am interested in knowing how anyone got into this line of work, or if anyone has any advice they could give me

On 11/17/2020 at 10:19 AM, ansu said:

Hi all,

I'm just a 17 year old kid trying to figure out what to do with my life, and more specifically, how I will support myself. I came across home inspection and it sounded interesting to me. I'm also interested in remodeling and actually fixing problems rather than just pointing them out. However, I am a girl, I have literally no construction experience, nor do I know anyone who does construction. I saw that there was an Associate's of Science program for construction at my local community college, but I feel like there must be better ways to gain experience if I'm going to be a home inspector. Sadly, there was not a program for home inspection at said college (but there was a program for building inspection)

So I am interested in knowing how anyone got into this line of work, or if anyone has any advice they could give me

I started off as home inspector about when you were born. I've a degree in electrical engineering but ended up working on houses almost all my life. I'm license in electrical and HVAC since the mid-80's

In this business, the best practitioners are the ones that learn on their own. They are few and far between. There's room for you at the top but you need to be the sort that can eventually graduate to learning on your own once you've absorbed what the schools can offer. Most inspectors, over 90%, don't.

You don't absolutely need experience, but if you haven't any, expect a longer road to the top.

Proficiency in this business is not gender specific. Don't ever let any couillon tell you otherwise.

If you try out this business, try hard for a chance to train beneath several other inspectors - not just one but several, the best ones. They're not all the same because the range of expertise found among HIs is enormous.

Dumb inspectors often become very successful financially, on account of a pervasive conflict of interest among real estate agents that warps the inspection profession badly.

Edited by Marc

Age is a limiting factor, just because of experience.  I believe inspection is first about being able to think and second about specific bits of knowledge;  writing, codes, materials, methods etc. 

Uli Sommers, Tessa Murray, Rose Buckley are among a few women you could google and contact.  Miki Mertz, Wilmoed Sisson, Janni Juhasz are a couple of others.  Arlene Puentes is another.  Point is there are several, but not enough. 

Edited by Les
ll

On 11/17/2020 at 8:19 AM, ansu said:

Hi all,

As a home inspector of 15 years, my advise is to look at other career options.   

I agree with Trent. 

Home inspectors sell their experience and knowledge. At the age of 17 with no background in construction, you don't have any knowledge or experience to sell. If you pursue home inspections, you'll flail around for a while and fail quickly. While that wouldn't be an entirely bad life experience, there are *way* better ones that are *way* more fun at your age. Be a little irresponsible, make mistakes, do at least a few things that you can enjoy regretting in your old age.

Life plans that you make when you're 17 almost never work out anyway, so just let life happen. Ride the waves, follow your bliss, and grab the gold ring when it comes round.