Overhead electric feed to detached garage

Mike Lamb

I cannot find anything that prohibits overhead electric feed to residential detached garages. So I am checking here.

My brother is looking to have a new garage built and the builder says the feed must be underground. Because of the landscape this would be tricky and expensive. He's in Chicago, and to the best of my knowledge, the city is using the 2017 NEC codebook.

1 hour ago, Mike Lamb said:

I cannot find anything that prohibits overhead electric feed to residential detached garages. So I am checking here.

My brother is looking to have a new garage built and the builder says the feed must be underground. Because of the landscape this would be tricky and expensive. He's in Chicago, and to the best of my knowledge, the city is using the 2017 NEC codebook.

Hey Mike,

Nothing definite, but like you, I've seen hundreds and hundreds of newer (Danley?) garages in Chicago, and can't ever recall finding one with an overhead feed.

6 hours ago, BADAIR said:

Thanks. I did see that in my search. It implies an underground feed.  I'm not sure if it prohibits overhead. Now I'm looking at the title which states Minimum Requirements so I guess that would be my answer, or not.

Edited by Mike Lamb

6 hours ago, BADAIR said:

That document doesn't say that a circuit to a detached must be buried, rather it simply gives the spec for a buried line. It does not treat aerials. JMHO

The requirements for an aerial might be such that it's near impossible to do it in a heavily populated area.

Edited by Marc