Rolled Copper Gas line

Garcha

How is it fastened? Compression - flared -soldered - etc..

I have tapped copper gas lines and had them crumble. I have also seen 1/2" M copper soldered!

The h2S can shale the interior and in some places the mercaptan will corode. Regional issue and mechanical code issue.

Originally posted by Garcha

Its got 2 solder joints (probably Lead). I would guess it's at least 40 y/o and there was no gas leak ATOI. I also gave it a close look and a pull or two to see if I could make it leak.

You aren't supposed to solder copper gas lines, but you can braze them. Are you sure it wasn't brazed?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Garcha,

As I attend yearly classes with Peoples Energy (Gas Utility)company in Chicago, it is Prohibited to use copper gas lines for natural gas. Evidently, As much as they attempt to insure its quality/purity, it inevitably will have sulphers that will corrode/deteriorate the inside of the tubing. I write it everytime as needing replacement.

Brad

It's 40 years old and solid as the day it was installed. I'm not gonna run around making up issues to cover my butt. Besides there were so many other problems, I noted it as questionable and recommended replacement at the earliest convenience as part of an overall updating required to this and other portions of the home.

Mike,

Copper gas lines were unheard of, just a few years ago. But, as the processing improved, copper lines became acceptable and I see more and more of them in new construction. The term you're looking for is soft copper not rolled. We use 'K'copper for underground application.

So to answer your question

"on personal thoughts concerning the use of 1/2 inch rolled Copper to supply Natural gas to a water heater."

The only concern I would have is impact damage and the protection thereof.

Soft copper is just that - soft and needs protection.

My other thought is that it needs to be identified as a 'natural gas' line and not confused as a water line.

We use a black print on yellow label affixed at each end of the tubing with an additional one in the middle.

Having said all that, I would recommend consulting your AHJ.

Present day natural gas supply has improved greatly in recent years and you'll find copper acceptable in many markets.

Rob, Thanks! It just doesn't seem right and I made it clear to my client that I would hate this in my house. There is about 8 feet in a utility room that could be easily replaced. My main concern was the soft copper where it penetrates a block dividing wall and also the solder joints.

Whether they are brazed or not I don't know but will check when I go back. Thanks again.