Crap. Now I need a real job.

Anyone in need of a newbie HI with a very strong structural, truss, floor, basement background? Need some training in electrical.

Looks like my truss company is shutting down before I'm ready to get myself underway. (kind of why I've been absent for a few weeks)Ugh. I hate being in this position.

I feel your pain! I graduated from college in 1968 and have been looking for a "real" job since then. Ya Ya, I have done a couple inspections just to keep beans on the table, but never found the security of a full time real job.

Jeff, NOW is the time to take the plunge!

E & O companies will work with you. At least they used to...

It's quite a few years ago, but the Allen Group took a signature and 1/3 down. They spread the rest over a nine month period. You paid a little extra for that, but if it helps you jump in confidently, it's worth it.

I've never price schools, but The Profession Home Inspectors Institute out of Falls Church VA was a pretty good school and very affordable. $1200.00 back then and I think it's only up to $1500.00 now. It had pretty good teachers and its founder has been around for a looooong time.

Hope that's helpful.

Good luck!

Kurt's right. That's the easiest and safest way to get trained and started for sure. But, if you ever want to go out on your own you will most likely have to leave town due to non-compete agreement. I started out in 1992 working for someone else, too. (Invaluable)

Getting started is tough.

I was in the same boat in 1995, and I spent the money and have never looked back, if you believe you can do it, go ahead and take the ITA course and get crackin, I believe that working for someone else just lines their pockets, you can do it on your own, but make no mistake, you'll work harder, far harder for yourself, than you ever did for someone else.

A word to the wise, though, if you go straight out on your own. Understand that education and E & O are not the only things you MUST have. You will need a cash reserve to quickly and gracefully deal with those small misses that are inevitable as you hone your inspecting skills.

In the beginning, how you handle the things that you miss that you KNOW you should have noticed and documented is critical. It's a long established fact in the sales world that a dissatisfied customer will tell far more people about their experience than will a satisfied customer. Put your fires out FAST unless you are confident that the client is being unrealistic or unreasonable or you'll find yourself stuck in the starting gate.

It's just an unavoidable cost of the school of hard knocks every inspector must go through. It's trial by fire and it's the best teacher of all.

jseddy,

A joint educational workshop is being held by the ASHI and NAHI chapters in Columbus on May 5, 2006.

May be a great time to come out and network with a bunch of HI and mybe find someone in the group that is looking to add on. It's a all day affair. You could call our Chapter Office (ASHI) at 330-929-5239 and ask Howard Synder, Executive Director, about the details. Print up a flyer to had out to the people in attendance.

Ezra Malernee

Canton, Ohio

Originally posted by jseddy

Thanks a lot guys. That's all great advice. I think you're all right about starting out with someone else. Even if I get the actual inspection stuff down, I haven't ran a business.

Ezra, I will do just that.

I work for LandAmerica Property Inspection and we have an office in Ohio. I'd be happy to get your resume in the right hands. Just email it to me.

If I could be blunt for a second- Your Avitar doesn't exactly scream professionalism and maturity. I'm not sure that's the type of thing you want to have on a website that exposes you to your peers in the HI world.