I thought I knew everything, But -

Les

My wife and me usually have a New England Lobster party during May every year. This year our lobster source can't do it and the other suppliers are priced out of sight!

The proceeds from this brawl go to Children's Miracle Network, so you don't think I'm getting rich.

Do any of you guys out east or down south have a reasonable wholesale source for the critters?

Ya just never know what you will find on this board!

"Mainizz" are the source of lobsters...but they are found all along the New England Coast. Boston has a source:

http://www.jameshooklobster.com/home.php

Lobsters are not just 'from "Down East" (i.e., "Maine") but all around here. Ancient cottage industry. (Pilgrims were sucking on these suckers from day one...).

Enjoy...

Rob Amaral

Walpole, MA

THREAD DRIFT!

the Pilgrims & early settlers didn't eat lobster

I was involved in a joint research project with Plimouth Plantation and a very good friend was an interpreter there. There are primary sources that document that the pilgrims were most certainly eating lobstah. They weren't thrilled about it though. Bradford even mentioned in his History of Plimouth Plantation that all they could offer new colonists was lobster, some fish and water.

Back on topic.

I just checked with someone I know who did a similar fund raiser and she said to contact the Atwood Lobster Co. They specifically handle supplying these types of events.

Sorry. I forgot. We're supposed to keep stuff on line now. focus.

You're right; they did eat lobster; the dumps & middens are full of lobster residue. They were thought to be nasty due to the bottom feeding diet. I kinda feel the same way; what I really like is the butter & lemon....

DARN! I did it again...... I'll stop.

Originally posted by inspecthistoric

THREAD DRIFT!

the Pilgrims & early settlers didn't eat lobster

I was involved in a joint research project with Plimouth Plantation and a very good friend was an interpreter there. There are primary sources that document that the pilgrims were most certainly eating lobstah. They weren't thrilled about it though. Bradford even mentioned in his History of Plimouth Plantation that all they could offer new colonists was lobster, some fish and water.

I grew up in the town of Branford, Connecticut, settled in 1644. The story there was the same. Some winters the only thing the settlers had to eat was lobster and they were pretty darned tweaked about it. The critters were extraordinarily plentiful in those days and they were much larger than today's specimens. It wasn't uncommon for lobsters that were as long as a man to be washed up on shore after storms. The settlers would drag them into the fields and run over them with their wagon wheels to make fertilizer.

Les, my dad used to throw similar lobster parties every year. He had an arrangement with a local lobsterman. But that was over 30 years ago. I'm afraid that all the lobstermen I knew are either retired or dead now. Have you considered getting another local business or two to underwrite some of the cost?

- Jim Katen, Oregon