Dryer vent

Mark P

I've heard of rigs that vented into buckets of water, but not into a bag. I'd just say that it was an unconventional, improvised arrangement that may well represent a fire hazard, I'm concerned about it, and I strongly recommend changing to safe, proven method of dryer venting (preferrably to the exterior). Something along those lines, with any relevent specifics you think will help make your case for change.

Brian G.

Venting on Venting [:-bigmout

That's what we here in Chicagoland call a "jug". They're very common in large condo projects because they're cheap. Amazingly, that jug is designed for that specific purpose.

The plastic duct part is a proven fire hazard. The jug part is a pain in the butt; if they can, vent it to the exterior.

Those filters function exactly like the old oil reservoir air cleaners used to. The air goes into the bucket and then has to turn around sharply to exit. The particulates (lint) in the air can't turn the corner that fast, centrifugal force pushes the lint outward as it tries to make the turn and it hits the liquid and is trapped. Kind of ingenious but a good way to end up with the underside of your roof decking all mildewed from all that humidity you're creating.

The plastic bag lines the bucket so that they can just pull the liner out and all the lint comes with it. The bucket is not the fire hazard. The flexible corrugated duct is and whenever you see one of those you should warn your client about it and tell them to replace everything from the collar to the outside with smooth-walled metal ducting, no screws at the joints and clean it every year.

100 year old hotel burned down here two weeks ago because of one of those flexible ducts.

OT - OF!!!

M.

That's the theory of how they work anyway. Having seen at least several hundred (maybe a thousand), the lint doesn't all go in the water.

Whenever I see a condo jug, there's always a lot of lint scattered all over the room. And, like Mike said, a lot of humidity.

Originally posted by kurt

Amazingly, that jug is designed for that specific purpose.

I guess it would be better to call it "non-standard" and "improper" than unconventional and improvised then, but still wrong. It sort of reminds me of those goofy pleated/flexible plumbing pieces they make and sell for people who can't make two pipes line up.

Brian G.

Goofy Building Products (a division of Disney Construction Industries) [:-dopey]

No, it's not a residential code violation, nor is it improper or non-standard.

Yes, they are only supposed to be used w/electric dryers; can't have combustion gas dumping into houses.

Code violation are decided by municipalities; my municipality sez they're fine w/electric dryers. They're considered proper in the right setting & are pretty much standard in thousands of condo's.

They're stupid; incredibly stupid. This is my 2 line boilerplate;

"The dryer discharges through a "jug", intended to be filled w/ water to filter the lint; these devices work poorly or not at all, & usually end up blowing lint all over the laundry, in addition to contributing excessive moisture into the house air. There is no outide discharge, and it isn't possible to retrofit one without condo association approval; this is the only device you can use & you won't like it."

I think folks shouldn't be afraid to call stuff stupid when the mantle fits.