Bounced Check Fee

I'm just happy to get the amount on the check! I might have one or two per year. My bank charges me $6 when one is returned. The last one I had was drawn on my bank, so I just went to the branch bank and asked if the account had funds to cover the check. The teller who knows me said if I deposited it now that it would clear, but that it would make several other checks bounce! I did not even bother calling my client, the $6 fee I paid was worth every cent in satisfaction!

In my area, the District Attorney will collect on bad checks. They require you to send a registered letter with a form they supply. The person has 10 days to pay. After 10 days a letter is sent by the DA's office stating that they now owe the amount of the check plus an additional $150. The DA's office gets $75 and you get $75. The person has 5 working days to pay or a warrant is issued for their arrest. I have only used this once and I had my check plus $75 in about three weeks.

Boy, Scott beat me to it.

I'm happy to get the money. No additional fees. I only get one to two bad checks a year and everyone always makes them good.

Well, once an out of town buyer burned me for $450.00 and I got tired of chasing hime down. Only once in 14 years. That's not bad.

Hi,

I think I've had two or three in 10 years. I called up the clients, told them that I didn't want to have to pursue fraud charges and told them to send me a money order with the amount of the inspection, plus what's needed to cover the penalty fees at the bank, and then I'd return their bounced check after I'd cashed the money order. Maybe it's my eternal scowl, but folks don't seem to argue with me or try and rip me off a lot.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

IF they buy the house, you could always file a lien against the property...

It might be a few years, but you'll get paid when they sell the house with interest. I've never done it, but if I felt someone was simply trying to "get over" just because they thought they could I'd consider it.

Just a thought.

Indeed, when I was a masonry sub-contractor I used to take GC checks to their bank and ASK if there were sufficient funds before I'd even present the check and if not, I'd keep coming back until the day there were sufficient funds. GCs were notorious for operating on "the float". Always paying for the last jobs costs with the next jobs income. It was pretty frustrating.

We always paid net 30 so all of our materials suppliers used to help us get jobs by giving us considerable discounts because they knew they'd get paid.

Glad I don't have to go through that anymore.

I called his agent last night and found out he is getting the home. She is going to see if there is any way to tack on a fee although I don't hold out much hope for that avenue.

I'll pursue it through small claims court and/or put a lien on the home.

Regarding the GCs Mike, that's one of the biggest reasons I got out of mechanical contracting. It turned into such a terrible industry, beating suppliers and subs over the head to drop prices, not paying for months, settling for cents on the dollar etc. What a mess that industry has become. You really have to enjoy shafting people to thrive & there are those out there that are truly cut out for that profession.

Yup, if the average GC's debts were all called in he'd be instantly bankrupt. It's a slippery slope that most don't seem to have the wisdom or discipine to avoid.

And then there was 10% retainage, which is one of the worst ideas the AIA ever put in a contract. GCs would use retainage to force us to perform work not even in the contract just to get paid. What a scam. We ALWAYS struck out the retainage clause and insisted we get paid in full within 30 days. "If you like our price, these are our terms! If you're not satisfied with our work, just tell us what needs to be improved and we'll do it. But, we won't be back for the next phase until we're paid in full for the last one."

Regarding your check, I have sent a bill to the closing attorney before when the check was bad and did indeed get paid. Get the name and address of the closing attorney and send a bill to your client c/o the closing attorney and see what happens.

Good luck.

Terry,

If the person is getting the house and it has not closed, you can get your money. You need to act quick and get an invoice to the closing attorney or closing agent. The house can't close if there is an outstanding bill for services and the attorney or closing agent knows about it. This is one of those little known lending rules.

I think in our area, if you send the bill to the title company (which may be the same as a closing agent in other areas) they will pay it before closing.

We lost track of one Client who didn't pay and wanted us to bill at closing. She gave us the title co's name and we sent in the bill. Somehow, we forgot about her fee. Then one day we get a frantic call from the Title Co saying that had an invoice for an inspection fee and wanted to know where to send it (as if our address wasn't on the invoice). We received that check very quickly from the Title company.

The trick is, knowing which Title company they'll be using.

Two bounces covered immediately upon notification to the client.

Wives had closed out of state account hubby had written checks on.

One client (chef at country club) was notified by his bank that they had bounced the check. He came running with cash the same day and then called the next day to say his bank had called him back to notify him that they had NOT bounced the check. Bought me lunch when I brought his cash back.

Terry and others,

I feel y'alls pain.

I had a $500.00 inspection on May 31, 2006

Client called as I was in transit to the job and asked, "Could he pay a closing?"

My reply was "Yes, as long as he was willing to pay $50.00 closing fee." I'm not a bank and hate floating other peoples financial issues.

Billed title company, called to check on status and they said deal feel through and client said, "I'll write ADAIR a personal check."

Every time he replies to phone calls or email invoices it's the same old run around about selling off stocks, wainting on a check, unexpected bills, paydays on Friday...

Where's Guido when I need him?

The sad part is this guy is an old friend of my daughter and son-in-law. Did I say, "I hate dealing with other peoples financial issues!"

If I knew where this ass moved to I walk up to his front door with a glass jar full of gasoline and a Bic. When he answered the door OOOPS, drop the jar on the front porch and say, "SHOW ME THE MONEY"