Flashing

rlskfoster

I recently inspected a new home and found thses two areas not flashed or not flashed over the soffit. Builder is giving the homeowner some flak on request to flash these areas. I feel that both areas should be flashed, what about ya'll. Admittedly roofing is not my strongest area of expertise, but, I feel I'm right.

Pic #1 is on side of the front porch and they stopped the flashing as the roof gets to the soffit.

Pic #2 is roof line of the garage as it meets the breakfast nook front wall. The soffit is directly over this area.

Buster

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Dearinger 034.jpg

51.05 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Copy of Dearinger 036.jpg

78.68 KB

About thew first picture: It just looks bad. They should of installed the counter flashing all the way down. It looks like there is a crack in the mortar, thats a vulnerable spot for a moisture leak.

The second picture, it's hard to tell. I think it might be all right, since it's under the soffit. How wide is the soffit? And is this an area where rain could blow into? I think those would be 2 important issues. But this could come down to local roofing codes. I would of used something else than motor. And I would advise client if the builder refuses to add appropriate flashing, to monitor area for any future moisture problems.

Yup,

I don't recall the exact language, but anytime shingles abut a side wall, the counter-flashing method MUST be used.

Buster, check out my "Is it just my area" thread and look at the photo taken on a rainy day. The water is clearly seeping through and into the roof framing and decking.

John

Everything, including common sense to code to manufacturers’ instructions says there has to be wall to roof flashing.

IRC 2000 R703.8 Flashing.

Approved corrosion–resistive flashing shall be provided in the exterior wall envelope in such a manner as to prevent entry of water into the wall cavity or penetration of water to the building structural framing components. The flashing shall extend to the surface of the exterior wall finish and shall be installed to prevent water from reentering the exterior wall envelope. Approved corrosion–resistant flashings shall be installed at all of the following locations: …

At wall and roof intersections.id="size5">

This link has good illustrations.

http://www.ibacos.com/pubs/RoofFlashing ... lashing%22