A handy gauge

Bain

I don't know if you've seen one of these, but it comes in handy when you just aren't sure about wire sizes. The diameter of 12-gauge wire has grown as small as it can be and still carry 20 amps, so--for me, anyway--this gauge comes in handy when I'm not certain about what I'm looking at. The thing costs about thirty bucks if you get it from Grainger's.

John

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif DSC05289a.jpg

249.13 KB

I wouldn't use that on electrical stuff. It's conductive and you're liable to short something out. You can get a plastic set of wire gauges from PE that are non-conductive. Just remember to remove the aluminum foil size stickers and engrave the size on them.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Dear Bain,

1. You have no idea how many hands have hacked the electrical system of the house, so although you may think you have removed the power, The possibility exists from another source.

2. I don't know if youre married, you would be well off not to wear a wedding band or a metal cased watch.

3. As the gauge is conductive,God forbid you have an off day and Jam that bad boy into the Main Bus and off youself.

I have seen to many people blow there fingers and hands off from there bodies, as well as find one individual dead. Please use extreme caution when you're in the Panel. Thanks.

That instrument, manufactured by Starrett is designed to be a check-gauge for sheet metal and not wire sizes. Additionally, it is (as Mike pointed out) conductive---DO NOT USE inside an electrical panel.

One way or the other, this can and may provide you with a fall in your career. You can cause contact issues that were not there before you monkeyed with the conductor to breaker connection, thus opening yourself up to liability. On top of that, your levitation skills may be enhanced by the ghostly apparition that your surviving spouse probably would not be able to identify.

Go here to find the plastic type:

http://www.professionalequipment.com/xq ... efault.htm

Rich Rushing

Bain,

Hey I feel your pain with checking the wire size. There have been times in the past that I have convinced myself that they have some # 12 under a 30 amp breaker and the only way I could really get my gage on it was to take it out of the breaker. Every time I have done that I have found that the wire was the correct size. I do use the plastic gage from PE, but, isn't it strange how you can convince yourself that something is a certain way!

Buster