Distorted vinyl siding from window reflection

Martin Holladay

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we have been in our newhome a year and the entire house has warped!

Everyone says it was hung too tight??? It is 4 years old? Who is responsible the installers?

Look at the photos; has your siding bowed out from the house because it is installed too tight and can't expand/contract or is it actually melted?

If it's simply bowed because it's installed too tightly, it's the installers fault.

If it's melted due to reflection, pinning the blame on the manufacturer will have the manufacturer pointing the finger of blame at the manufacturer of whoever made the windows that are reflecting light onto your siding.

If it's melted due to reflection, pinning the blame on those window manufacturers will have them pointing the finger of blame squarely at the vinyl siding manufacturer.

In other words, if the siding is actually melted and deformed from heat, you are screwed and nobody is going to do anything to help you; in which case you should probably consider replacing the siding that's melted with another type of siding that won't be affected by reflected sunlight.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

• 3 months later...

Back from the dead, again.

They told me they thought this was caused by a gas grill, but the more I looked at it, the more I suspect this might be another case of a deformity from a reflection. The damage is much worse at the bottom than the top. Was the tank on fire? There's also a slight diagonal pattern as well.

I don't know. What do you guys think? Forget about the deck.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20111024174542_030.jpg

56.64 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20111024174453_031.jpg

54.53 KB

I've seen several examples of gas grill siding issues and it has always been at about the height of grill, up-never down to the floor. It usually appears to be about grill-width (30 or so inches), and the siding droops or sags.

I believe your'e on the right track............

.......Greg

Back from the dead, again.

They told me they thought this was caused by a gas grill, but the more I looked at it, the more I suspect this might be another case of a deformity from a reflection. The damage is much worse at the bottom than the top. Was the tank on fire? There's also a slight diagonal pattern as well.

I don't know. What do you guys think? Forget about the deck.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20111024174542_030.jpg

56.64?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20111024174453_031.jpg

54.53?KB

100% classic window reflection. No doubt whatsoever.

I've this one instance of it. Not from a window per say, but from a skylight. At the time, I was standing there a little perplexed wondering how some lunatic hoisted a BBQ up on that roof and why[:-bigmout. ( I had no idea what caused it, till I came home and got on TIJ, and of course, almost instantly found a recent post about warped siding that edumacated me) So, I didn't collect much information, but you can see from the house picture in the second pic that the skylight on the left, was reflecting to the wall to it's right. The skylight was "flat" glass and fairly large, so I wouldn't be surprised if gravity was having it's way & making that glass a little concave. Three years ago, but if I recall correctly, it was low E coated, though, not sure. The color of the siding was a light gray. The third pic is there just to show the color a little better. This was in North/West New Jersey.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif DSCN6618.JPG

281.18 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 129 W Lake Shore Dr Rockaway.jpg

187.68 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif DSCN6619.JPG

355.09 KB

• 1 month later...

I know this isn't vinyl siding but we had a house with low-e glass reflect onto a redwood deck stair and actually char the stair like firewood! It never ignited luckily. I can try to get you photos if you want. I never would have believed it unless I went and looked for myself. The owner told me that while it was happening the cabinet setter threw a blue tarp over it to protect it and it melted a hole in the tarp right in front of his eyes. This happended a couple more times this summer and then stopped so we think the sun has to be just right at the right time of the day and year. Scarry stuff!

I know this isn't vinyl siding but we had a house with low-e glass reflect onto a redwood deck stair and actually char the stair like firewood! It never ignited luckily. I can try to get you photos if you want. I never would have believed it unless I went and looked for myself. The owner told me that while it was happening the cabinet setter threw a blue tarp over it to protect it and it melted a hole in the tarp right in front of his eyes. This happended a couple more times this summer and then stopped so we think the sun has to be just right at the right time of the day and year. Scarry stuff!

As well as the perfect distance from the window pane to the stairway surface for the beam to focus to a small spot

I'm sure everyone's burned his name a couple times into a piece of wood with a magnifying glass when they were growing up.

Marc

. . . I'm sure everyone's burned his name a couple times into a piece of wood with a magnifying glass when they were growing up.

I was smart enough to burn my brother's name in the wood - especially since it was the wood on the side of our house.

Devious.

I didn't know you had it in you, Jim.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

• 1 month later...

Caught in the act!!

Here is an example on my home. For the first time in eight years everything must have been just aligned for several days recently. I am not sure this happens if it isn't above 60 degrees with mid December sun positioning. The photos show the neighbors window and you can even see the melted track that curves up towards the end of the afternoon.

Dave

Click to Enlarge
tn_201213161917_ENIMAGE1324750213140.jpg

30.99?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201213161953_ENIMAGE1324576255546.jpg

27.37?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201213162017_ENIMAGE1324576186367.jpg

23.63?KB

Those are great! Mind if we borrow those to show clients?

Earlier today, I happened to run into the guy who bought the house in the pics I posted above. We talked about that for a few minutes. He's going to keep an eye on his situation and call me if he sees it happening this summer, so I can shoot it while it's occurring.

Here are a few pictures

This was taken on a 10 degree day.

The vinyl measured from 177 to 200 degrees from a window reflection that was 39 feet away.

Vinyl will thermally distort at about 165 degrees

Click to Enlarge
tn_201213225651_4307_IMG_1052.jpg

41.33 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201213225731_IMG_1056.jpg

30.51 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201213225757_IMG_1057.jpg

22.84 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201213225817_IMG_1017.jpg