walk through consultation

Originally posted by kurt

They want and need specific info on a limited number of items; what's wrong w/providing it for them?

I just personally don't like delivering an incomplete service/product for a reduced fee.

I order dinner at a restaurant and the entrée includes green beans and carrots. I veggied-out at lunch and don't want any at dinner. I don't ask the waiter to exclude them and discount price of the meal. They serve it complete, I don't eat the vegs and I pay the price on the menu.

Originally posted by inspecthistoric

I just personally don't like delivering an incomplete service/product for a reduced fee.

Well, the service would be whatever the HI and customer agree to.

Likewise, the fee needn't be "reduced." The fee is whatever the HI and customer agree to.

The HI and customer can agree on a one-hour or all-day walk & talk. The HI can charge a nickel or a million bucks.

One could stretch the logic, and come to the conclusion that all inspections should be exhaustive, and cost as much as a Lear Jet.

WJ

Originally posted by AHI

I'm sure by now you guys are aware I can be stubborn. You are right I should get a lawyer to check out my docs.

Either I do that or, sometime in the future you all will have the right to say..."told ya so"...as I whimper and whine and kick myself in the a.

So what kind of attorney should I be looking for?

You want a lawyer who has experience in business law, contract law, construction and litigation.

I may be the luckiest semi-retired HI on earth, in that I have a lawyer who knows building, knows building codes, knows the HI business, and translated Dante's Inferno into English just for fun.

In short, you want a genius who'll do everything she can to keep you out of trouble.

Let the lawyer write a draft. Then you review it, then the lawyer reviews it. Keep this up until you're both satisfied with the contract.

Once again: HI-written contracts are, for the most part, terrible. One ham-handed sentence can ruin your business, and establish case case law that could make every HI in your state miserable. That happened here in TN.

Don't try to shoehorn a lame HI contract into your biz plan.

WJ

• 2 weeks later...

I have my first two jobs lined up next week. Both are short versions. I have dubbed them "Pre Sale Repair Consultation" I am also ready to do "General Home Inspection". For now, I'll take what I can get. It just so happens that this is the way the kickoff will be.

Maybe it's a good idea to ease into it with these smaller versions for starters. They are 1 hour walk and talks with no written report provided.

Any suggestions on what I should focus on in these short appointments? I am not blank on this myself but I always like to consider the opinions of others.

Thanks again to everyone for helping me keep my head in line.

Randy is right on track.

If you don't know it, just say so. You will be quite pleased when begin to realize how much you know and how fast that body of knowledge grows when you start saying "I don't know, but will get you an answer". I can vividly remember the first GFI I ever ran across - didn't know squat about it and it seemed pretty foolish to me. Took me days to find info (pre-google), but I did and I learned!

Even though there will be no written report, I plan on taking my camera. I actually hope I find something I cant give a definitive answer on. Then I can say to client,

"I'm not quite sure about this__________. If you don't mind, I'm would like to take a picture or two. I have some excellent resources back at the office. I will research and call you back after I gather the information".

This will not only give me practice saying "I'm not sure", but it will help me look professional by showing the intent follow up with info after obtaining it.

yeah..that's the ticket....

Originally posted by Les

John, as long as you have the camera - - - - don't forget the good looking neighbor lady!

I will put that in my contract.

"I hereby disclaim any responsibility for anything I do wrong as a result of being distracted by woman sunbathing by pool"

Now I know how these binoculars will come in handy. BTW, I wonder how much zoom my digi cam has?