Digital Video Camera's

sepefrio

I've been messing around the last few days with some of my toys and those of friends. Binoculars, telescopes, digital cameras and digital video cameras to look at roof's. First this is assuming I can't get on the roof, because if it's possible and it's relatively safe I do. Anyways, of all the toys I like the digital video camera the best. The zoom is better than most bino's unless you want to drop a pretty dime and I can video tape it or snap shot pictures with it.

The only draw back I see is the cost. Some decent bino's go from $30-$50 where as the camera is several hundred. Breaking the camera would hurt a lot more. But I'm still considering it.

So I was wondering if anyone else used a digital video camera to view a roof?

Originally posted by sepefrio

. . . Anyways, of all the toys I like the digital video camera the best. The zoom is better than most bino's unless you want to drop a pretty dime and I can video tape it or snap shot pictures with it.

The only draw back I see is the cost. Some decent bino's go from $30-$50 where as the camera is several hundred. Breaking the camera would hurt a lot more. But I'm still considering it.

So I was wondering if anyone else used a digital video camera to view a roof?

Most digital video cams don't have adequate resolution to be an effective tool for inspecting a roof from the ground.

However, I've used a digital video camera a few times on litigation support jobs. In those cases, I didn't want to discuss anything out loud while I was onsite and I wanted to keep my time onsite to an absolute minimum. With the cam, I was able to zoom in on things discretely and capture a lot of information very quickly. Later, I could play back the tape and explain stuff to my client in his home. It worked well.

I know of one inspector who used to do his inspections on tape. He wouldn't write a report, he just walked around with a video camera pointing at things and narrating as he went.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

• 1 month later...

I use strong binoculars to view the roof surface and etc.

If I see something that bothers me, I'll pull the 28 footer off the van and go look closer. Never ever climb off of the ladder. You can tell a lot by leaning the ladder on the gutter . Digital pictures are a must. Adjacent windows are good, if available.

"Mr. Ahern my roof never leaked until you walked on it"

This position polarizes a room full of HIs.[:-banghea

Go Pats!