waiting for UL approval

Chad Fabry

My Dad built one for himself, then 1 for each of the family members. They're all made out of junk and each is different. You don't want your infant kids playing unattended, but they work well and the effect is cool.

Why don't the cords wind up?

The standard answer is 'we use long cords and change the direction once an hour.'

Most folks are satisfied with that response.

Image Insert:

20071215142635_junkasart1.jpg

67.87 KB

Image Insert:

20071215142737_junkasart2.jpg

59.25 KB

Originally posted by Chad Fabry

My Dad built one for himself, then 1 for each of the family members. They're all made out of junk and each is different. You don't want your infant kids playing unattended, but they work well and the effect is cool.

Why don't the cords wind up?

The standard answer is 'we use long cords and change the direction once an hour.'

Most folks are satisfied with that response.

The receptacle turns with the tree. I used to build giant turntables (15' - 30' in diameter). We'd use two metal rings under the turntable and strips of metal from a coffee can to work as brushes to carry the juice to them. Did your dad do something similar?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

The receptacle turns with the tree. I used to build giant turntables (15' - 30' in diameter). We'd use two metal rings under the turntable and strips of metal from a coffee can to work as brushes to carry the juice to them. Did your dad do something similar?

He cut 3" copper tubing into 1/2" slices, like rings and pressed them over schedule 40 PVC. Delco alternator brushes carrying the current to the receptacle.

Originally posted by Chad Fabry

. . . He cut 3" copper tubing into 1/2" slices, like rings and pressed them over schedule 40 PVC. Delco alternator brushes carrying the current to the receptacle.

That's a tidy solution. But surely he must have used two different sizes of tubing to make concentric rings?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

If I was gonna have a spinner, I'd just go whole hog & get me an aluminum one that was all tinsely, w/a multi-color light show that made it change colors.

WJ has a nice column this month about such a tree. Brought back memories of driving up to my Gramma & Grampa's place & seeing the shiny 'luminum tree in the LR window, changing colors.

Terry,

I'm gonna have to spend some time with you and yours! I'd put a little "spice" in your life!

I like it, except for the resulting dizzy cat that would result in our house.

If your wife wants a little protection - Find yourself an old oil burner gun and use the transformer and some nice 1/4" hardware cloth to make an energy field around the mechanism. It will look pretty in the dark!

Originally posted by kurt

If I was gonna have a spinner, I'd just go whole hog & get me an aluminum one that was all tinsely, w/a multi-color light show that made it change colors.

WJ has a nice column this month about such a tree. Brought back memories of driving up to my Gramma & Grampa's place & seeing the shiny 'luminum tree in the LR window, changing colors.

Kurt,

Here 'tis :

Image Insert:

2007121871059_Christmas_Silver.jpg

35.48 KB