exposed piping

Bryant16e

Originally posted by Bryant16e

My question is what if anything should i be concerned about, possible freezing pipes, vapor barrier or something different?

Your question is too broad. Most people on this board could write page after page about what you should be concerned about down there.

The first, and biggest concern that I'd have is stability of the house in high winds. Hence my question about hurricanes. Do they come through Tallahassee or do they pass you by?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by Bryant16e

Thanks David, any feedback on problems that you can see?

Here's a lightened version of your picture.

It doesn't look all that bad. I think I'd recommend cleaning out the debris, raking the soil, then installing a vapor barrier.

Given Tala's mild climate, you probably don't need to insulate the pipes. The crawlspace will be somewhat warmed by heat loss in winter. I doubt that you'll ever see freezing temperatures in the crawlspace.

If someone ever insulates that floor, however, the bare pipes might freeze. In that case, they ought to be insulated as well.

I'd also recommend that someone secure those electrical cables at least every 4-1/2 feet.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Image Insert:

20071230153710_Tala%20CS.jpg

937.36 KB

Not much in the way of Formosan termites in this area. Mostly drywood and sub's.

Like I said if its an off grade house thats pretty much what it will look like.

I wouldn't worry about insulation or a vapor barrier. Rarely see insulation or vapor barriers in these houses. With the open crawl moisture won't be a problem.

Tally gets a little cooler than here (due to those big heaters to our east and west) but freezing pipes won't be a problem. It gets down below freezing but never stays there long enough to matter.

I don't see anything in your pic's that concerns me other than the extent of the moisture damage on the sub-flooring.

Originally posted by davidlord

I don't see anything in your pic's that concerns me other than the extent of the moisture damage on the sub-flooring.

Yeah,

I was looking at those stains and wondering whether they'd been caused by condensation forming on the cold underside of the floors when the AC system is running.

Don't know enough about Florida to say whether that'd be a concern or not. I know it's a concern in North Carolina but those are mostly closed crawlspaces up there that get dripping wet with condensation - not open and well vented like that one.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I grew up in Florida and there is no such thing as Hurricanes just pass us by, it's, it just hasn't hit us yet. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if those stains are just from the humidity. Many days in a Florida summer, the moment you walk outside and your sweating. The temperature difference between the floor and the crawl space, especially since it's not insulated can be quite drastic.

Also, Tallahassee does tend to get a tornado or two.

My guess would be there is a bathroom above the area just out of the picture frame. A humdity problem wouldn't be localized.

As for hurricanes we tend to have worse nor'easters. The hurricanes tend to go around us except when they come from the gulf side. I think the last major hurricane was Dora in the 60's. I think its a gulf stream thing but what the heck do I know.