Bubba Wiring

tbird

I saw this yesterday, did a double take. The bathroom above this was recently remodeled. Bubba decided it was easier to tap into a 70amp wire feed from the main for the sub to get power for his bathroom remodel rather than to run a new circuit. The seller tells me that his friend, who is an electrician did this (also got a permit) and that this is okay!?! Who woulda thunk wiring 101 was this easy!?! This same seller told be that the house has been re-plumbed with copper. I told him that only .05% had been re-plumbed and he walked off and mumbled something about a stupid plumber.

Image Insert:

20081921836_bubbawiring.jpg

96.2 KB

On top of all that, why two junction boxes? I'm really scratchin my head on this one. I guess when they cut the feeder to splice in there was not enough slack to do the job so they added a second box and some extra individual wires to create enough slack to make a splice. Bubba for sure.

Thats some odd looking gas line routing as well. There had to be an easier way of doing that.

I like to ask things besides the obvious, so here goes. What is in that corrugated tubing? And what is that a duct for? It's rather large in size so I'm thinking AC, but can that be from a chimney? If so I'm thinking that stuff is too close. Also, I'll see if I can find it, but isn't there something about no junction box within X distance of gas lines even if wired correctly? And is that corrosion or sealant on the gas line? I ask because I only see it on two of the connections and not the others and on one connection, the bottom one, it appears to extend past the width of the pipe like corrosion would. As a matter of fact, that looks like two different type metal pipes, thus leading to the corrosion? To me, thats just a ticking time bomb waiting to go off.