light can

John Dirks Jr

Have you ever seen this kind of light can before? It did not have markings indicating approval for insulation contact. Is this actually part of the fixture itself or an extra piece to shield heat and allow IC?

BTW, you see the problems with the wiring I'm sure. It was a tangled mess of un-secured wires piled all over the place. No clamps or staples anywhere. There was plenty of access room to secure these well out of harms way but instead they piled them all up in the middle. There were about a dozen recessed fixtures wired up in this mess. Nice huh?

Image Insert:

2008229155221_HPIM0873.jpg

147.06 KB

Originally posted by AHI

Have you ever seen this kind of light can before? It did not have markings indicating approval for insulation contact. Is this actually part of the fixture itself or an extra piece to shield heat and allow IC?

I think it's both. As for the IC rating you often have to look at the inside of the can, not the outside. Also, you'll find that there are lots of cans that can be either IC or non IC depending on what trim you install with it.

BTW, you see the problems with the wiring I'm sure. It was a tangled mess of un-secured wires piled all over the place. No clamps or staples anywhere. There was plenty of access room to secure these well out of harms way but instead they piled them all up in the middle. There were about a dozen recessed fixtures wired up in this mess. Nice huh?

It looks as if it were done by a homeowner.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

According to the home owner the work was done by an electrical contractor. What was thought to be a reputable one at that. When I showed her the pictures and explained the situation her eyes got big like saucers.

She then said, "Guess who's getting a phone call?"

Thanks for the response Jim. Heres a couple more pics of the nice handy work.

Not only are there no wire staples or clamps but this box is also not mounted at all.

Image Insert:

20083124513_HPIM0875.jpg

123.87 KB

Image Insert:

2008312481_HPIM0869.jpg

121.15 KB