Battery Backup Sump Pump

Steven Hockstein

Last weekend our power went out for 7 hours and I had to connect a generator to my sump pump to prevent flooding during a bad storm. I am tired of thinking about what would happen if I was away.

I have decided to install a battery backup sump pump. I don't see them that often (even though I tell my clients that it is a good investment). Any advice on the best or worst brands?

I am looking at the mid-level Watchdog system with a good marine battery instead of the one that they sell. I am also considering the Liberty Pump system with a marine battery.

Sumpro times are pretty good. If you have a pump that moves high volume GPM, it only kicks on for a few seconds every several minutes. Chicago is sump pump central; I see hundreds every year, every make, model, and type. Not to be overbearing, but after all that, I'm a Sumpro proponent.

The Sumpro's have average mean time run averages of over a dozen hours. That translates into several days of operation if figuring intermittent operation. I have customers who've gone over a week w/a Sumpro running their pumps.

The only knock I've heard on the Zoeller water pump is they don't move much water. I've seen a couple, and the GPM is pretty lame. Of course, if it's running continuously, it's probably very adequate.

Originally posted by Chad Fabry

I've always liked Liberty pumps. Now that I think about it though I've only ever installed two brands, Zoeller and Liberty. How many gallons will a deep cycle battery push? I promise it won't run seven hours.

What about water powered pumps? Do you have municipal water?

To clarify-I don't need 7 hours of continous pumping. My Liberty pump cycles on and off about once every five minutes during wet weather. It runs for about 10 seconds each time to empty the pit.

I assume that the backup pump is not be as strong and will need to run for about three times as long. We have not lost power for more than 24 hours in the past. I guess if we have a major issue with power, I can yank one of the car batteries.

I installed the Watchdog system yesterday. It took me about 2 hours. It was easier than I thought. The basic system cost was around $275 with a few assorted pieces of PVC. I also installed a union connection so I can easily remove the pipes for servicing.

I did not use the Watchdog brand battery because I did not want to start with having to dump my own battery acid. I bought a sealed, deep cycle, marine battery and bypassed the low water warning light sensor that only works with the Watchdog Battery.

I will report back in a few months and give a longer term use update.