Access under tub.

Phillip

I have been writing the lack of access to get under the whirlpool tubs to get to the pumps and the electrical.

New construction.

Builder says that the access is the large marble panel that runs the length of the tub.

Says all you have to do is to cut the caulking and remove the panel.

I don't think so.

Do you think that set up is an access panel.

Having access to an electrical connection sure makes alot of sense.

As far as access to the pump. Having changed a few pumps, especially considering the infrequency that one has to work on the pump, I would rather have to cut a bead of silicone and have a workable area than have to struggle through some of the usually inadequate openings I've come across. Especially when having to deal with air switches and hoses.

But then again, how large/heavy is the slab that has to be removed?

The better and easier the access is ... the better it is.

Around here, cultured marble tubs have a front panel which runs the entire length of the tub. Removing it does only require cutting a silicone bead which runs the length of the tub across the top and bottom. Pretty simple, and it is easier than dealing with a small door of some sort to gain access. I don't write up a man-made marble panel that is caulked in place this way UNLESS the GFCI receptacle is buried under the tub. Most often, they are easily accessible in the master closet or beside the toilet.

Kevin,

Do you cut the caulk and remove the panel to conduct your inspection? After all, there are many items that need to be checked:

bonding if it's needed

pumps not supported correctly

leakage

missing insulation on an exterior wall

If the access is not present or easily removal, I call it out.

Tough call.

That code cite that Tom provided was changed in the 2006 IRC. They replaced that single sentence with a whole paragraph that first defers to the manufacturers installation instructions. Then it says if the install instructions do not specify the location and minimum size of the opening, the code spells it out for you. Then it says the opening can be closed with a door or a panel.

In the old code or the new code, the key word is "access" without any other modifiers such as "readily". IRC section 202 has the following definitions:

ACCESSIBLE. Signifies access that requires the removal of an access panel or similar removable obstruction.

ACCESSIBLE, READILY. Signifies access without the necessity for removing a panel or similar obstruction.

While I would carefully cut caulk around an attic access hatch, or through paint or wallpaper to open an electrical panel, I don't think I would do so on a whirlpool tub without having permission from the owner.

Originally posted by Darren

Kevin,

Do you cut the caulk and remove the panel to conduct your inspection? After all, there are many items that need to be checked:

bonding if it's needed

pumps not supported correctly

leakage

missing insulation on an exterior wall

If the access is not present or easily removal, I call it out.

Darren--

I WOULD write up the situation in Phillip's photo with the tile. To gain access there for repairs or maintenance would require removing the tile facing or cutting a hole in the drywall at the end of the tub. In my mind, neither of those qualifies as a panel, and repairs would be much more costly than replacing a bead of caulk.

As for your other concerns, I don't cut the caulk myself. That's a little too invasive. The panel does not meet the definition of readily accessible in the SOP. As I see it, I am not required to remove it. In fact, I'd have sellers pretty hot at me if I did take them off.

And looking for leaks? If the home is on a suspended floor, a leak will be visible from underneath, same as a one-piece standard tub. You don't need to remove the panel to see it in the crawlspace. If it's on a slab, you can't see anything underneath that one-piece standard tub either since it has no panel whatsoever.

The same is true about missing insulation. You can't see it behind a cast iron tub or shower/tub...or a fiberglass one, either, once drywall is up.

So that just leaves wiring issues and pump support. I'll admit that those items are not inspected if the panel is caulked in place. However, this is a new home we're talking about here. I don't know about all jurisdictions, but around here, the plumbing inspector and the electrical inspector won't sign off their finals without being able to see underneath. I've built homes for 25 years, and it's been that way as long as I can remember. So long as it's on a dedicated GFCI protected circuit and the outlet is readily accessible elsewhere, I don't make an issue of a caulked but otherwise easily removable panel which won't get damaged in the process.

Oh yeah--

The panels we're talking about are 3/8" thick cultured marble. They're light weight and removing them is a one man operation.