Making minor changes to website

Originally posted by qhinspect

Originally posted by randynavarro

Have a website content manager installed.

Yes, this will cost you but you only pay once and you can edit forever.

Any suggestions on the software. I don't need anything fancy.

Frontpage 2003 or it's replacement: Expression Web.

Well, I can't tell you exactly what options are available. I only know how I did it.

I called this guy; he said, "Yes, I can help you" and a couple days later and for about $200-300 (I can't remember how much exactly) I was able to edit.

I go to my site, enter my password and i.d. and it brings up my web pages in a simple form.

I type away and change whatever I need (except for graphics).

Its my understanding the content manager is something this guy created from scratch.

Originally posted by Nolan Kienitz

Frontpage 2003 or it's replacement: Expression Web.

I read some bad reviews about Frontpage 2003. I went with the trial for Adobe Dreamweaver CS3. For somebody that doesn't know what he is doing, I was able to make the basic changes really easy. I clicked on some other things from my web site and the information that came up on how that page was created and other information added to that webpage seemed understandable. I have everything backed up since this adobe program can be a recipe for disaster (thinking I know how it's done).

If all you want to do is make minor changes to the existing wording, and not change the format or anything more complex, then all you really need is the ability and permissions to download and upload the HTML file for that particular page, normally using a simple FTP program.

You don't need to understand the HTML, just open the file with notepad, find the sentence (which will typically be buried after a lot of "stuff"), make changes to the wording without touching anything else around it, and then save it and upload it back to your site.

As an example, the following is a screen shot of the source for this very thread.

Image Insert:

2008442212_ScreenHunter_01%20Apr.%2004%2021.48.jpg

165.27 KB

Anything more complex than that, then I understand Frontpage is a good tool. I use a program called Homesite, but it is more of a basic HTML editor and requires a decent grounding of the language.

Kevin, if you would trust me with the access code to your site, and the changes are relatively minor (meaning you supply the new wording so I don't have to think), I would be more than willing to make the changes for you as a fellow TIJer. But, as I won't always be around, you should find a way to do it yourself. It ain't that hard.

I went with the trial for Adobe Dreamweaver CS3. For somebody that doesn't know what he is doing, I was able to make the basic changes really easy. I clicked on some other things from my web site and the information that came up on how that page was created and other information added to that webpage seemed understandable. I have everything backed up since this adobe program can be a recipe for disaster (thinking I know how it's done).

Be careful.

I'm not sure what Dreamweaver CS3 is.

I bough the full version of Dreamweaver --the actual web site creation program. I had hopes of learning it and being able to have 100% control of my site.

Several hours later and much frustration, I ended up having to pay a whole bunch more money to have the site corrected.

I've had to accept the fact I'm not really gifted in this area. I need to stick to the things that I know.

I appreciate the warning/information. In 30 minutes after loading the trial program, I was able to change the words, colors and sizing of the fonts. After my jobs I'm going to change the "example report" so people can see the minor changes to the look of the report (it looks really with this software.

I have a FTP program so I can load the reports on to my website. I'll look into that.

Thanks for the help.

In 30 minutes after loading the trial program, I was able to change the words, colors and sizing of the fonts.

Yup. Not to scare you or beat a dead horse, but that's exactly what I did to my site.

After my changes, they looked perfectly good to me, but the webmaster said that Dreamweaver wasn't "talking" correctly to the website servers and the code wasn't translating correctly.

OK, I'm done. Really. I honestly hope you have much more success than me!