1903 Home Gutter Material Question

dtontarski

I have a seller, which happens to be a broker all bent out of shape because I called out that this section of gutter should be monitored. I called this out as steel - it was not reachable for a close inspection. He insist that all of the home's gutters are new copper components. This looks like steel corrosion to me. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Also the downspout directly beneath this appears to be silver beneath the paint. I assumed that copper gutters would be copper in color. Did I assume wrong on this?

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Gutter Material.jpg

81.2 KB

The few bare spots look like steel, but could also be gray primer (why paint copper?). That break seems to be a welded or soldered seam that didn't hold together for some reason, which doesn't ruler out steel or copper. Whatever the material is there's a problem, so I wouldn't let 'em make it all about which stuff the gutter is made of. It needs work.

Brian G.

The Problem Is the Point [:-magnify

It looks like it could be copper, but it's certainly not new. Ask 'em to show a receipt.

2008411132618_gutter.jpg

I wouldn't be telling them it should be monitored. It's installed wrong and its had temporary patching that has failed. I'd be telling them to have the gutter joints/overlaps, downspout outlets and downspouts installed correctly. There's plenty of reputable sources that show and describe correct installation.