What Do You Think This Is?

Hey Guys,

I performed an inspection yesterday and along the entire perimeter of the foundation I saw this ( the Picture ). This is well above the soil line and there was a small crack at one point in the foundation that I was able to see that it is not a patch or parging of the interior foundation wall but is indeed part of the upper section of the foundation. The one thing I thought was maybe the builder build the original foundation to low and had to raise the level. I don't think it could be different pours on the original build because the level is to consistent around the entire perimeter.

I wasn't too concerned about it, but more curious. My question is should I be?

Image Insert:

200841465540_P2230062.jpg

718.17 KB

How old is the house and how high are the bsmt. ceilings?

Reason I ask, is I recall when a lot of foundation contractors only had 8' forms. If one wanted 9' ceilings in the bsmt., an 8' wall was poured, and after it had set up, they came back to add another 12".

Whatever the reason, I'm guessing it's original, where the builder added on another section to "raise" the 1st fl. elevation.

Yep, concrete.

On second look, it looks there's cracks that might be consistent w/a 12" block laid on top of the original poured wall in that parging. I bet they laid a block course and parged it.

Either way, I think someone just added a foot to make the bsmt. ceiling taller. If there are no other distinguishing conditions, I'd say it's fine.