Shower head height

Phillip

Originally posted by Phillip

Is there a minimal height for a shower head in a tub or shower?

Where can I find it at?

Thanks

I'm not awrare of a code requirement for the height of a shower head. I'm sure there are design guides that deal with it, though.

For instance, in Building Construction Illustrated, Ching lists them as 6'-2" to 6'-8".

You could probably find a reference Architectural Graphic Standards as well.

I've installed several showers. In each case, I'd grab the shower arm and hold it up to the wall and ask the customer, "Where do you want it?"

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I'd be worried about the height of the ceiling above the shower drain. The shower head can easily be adjusted if there's head room. The 100th Street Code says 12.4.33: (b) "the shower head should be at last 10" but not more than 8' above the head of the person showering."

Originally posted by Mike Lamb

I'd be worried about the height of the ceiling above the shower drain. The shower head can easily be adjusted if there's head room. The 100th Street Code says 12.4.33: (b) "the shower head should be at last 10" but not more than 8' above the head of the person showering."

What's the 100th Street Code?

How does that code section apply to a family with tall parents and short children?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

What's the 100th Street Code?

How does that code section apply to a family with tall parents and short children?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

The 100th Street Code is a code I made up and it doesn't help anybody. You could use it but I don't believe it's a credible reference. In short, I was trying to be funny.

I believe goose neck attachments or adjustable sliding shower heads could easily remedy ht. issues.

Originally posted by Mike Lamb

The 100th Street Code is a code I made up and it doesn't help anybody. You could use it but I don't believe it's a credible reference. In short, I was trying to be funny.

I believe goose neck attachments or adjustable sliding shower heads could easily remedy ht. issues.

Oh! I get it!

Very amusing. Quite funny.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

• 6 months later...

hi

when ever I do rough plumbing for a shower or a tub I use the standard measure for the hight of a shower head from the finish floor 80" unless the person using the shower is a tall person he would ask to bring it up to 84" or the hight he's comfortable with.

all plumbers in lower new york area work on this standard, i'ts not a code though.

An old plumbing contractor I use to work for up in Chicago, told me some numbers when we roughed-in plumbing fixtures. For a mixing valve/shower valve for a tub was 36" from the sub floor, or 40" for a shower. The tub filler (spout) stub out , 4" above the tub deck. I can't quite remember the exact height he wanted for the shower head stub outs. Now I'm 6'5" and I would stand in the tub and put the stub out right about my head height. With the average shower arm and an average shower head, it usually dropped the level about 4-6 inches.

On all of my installations like that , I never had a complaint that the shower head was too low. As for the original question, it appears that there is no actual required height for a shower head, I always keep in consideration, especially during the rough phase that the stub out, and the finally height of the shower head itself, will be a good 4-6 inch difference.

Frank

For the valve and the shower head, I have always just stood in front of the wall that the plumbing was to be installed on and marked where it was comfortable to reach the valve. The shower head stub out I have always found to be comfortable at 84" above the sub floor. My thought has always been, if you can comfortably get through the door way to the bathroom then 84 would be ok for the shower head. As for the tub filler stub out, the manufactures have a min. and max. dimension from the valve. That is the only spec. that comes to my mind, and I am sure that varies a little for each manfacturer.