replace unit

Phillip

I been having trouble with the unit for the main level of my house.

The unit is a rheem 2 ton 10 seer 1996 model.

It has not been cooling and pulling high amps and the lights blink when it kicks in.

I had it checked today and the person that checked it is some I had worked with for 9 year.

The compressor is bad. It is pulling full amp load while it is running. Other word it needs to be replaced.

With the age of the unit he recommend that the unit be replaced because other item could go out.

Since it will have to be replaced with a 13 seer the interior unit will need to be change out.

Cost of replacement would be $5552.32.[:-weepn]

Originally posted by Phillip

I been having trouble with the unit for the main level of my house.

The unit is a rheem 2 ton 10 seer 1996 model.

It has not been cooling and pulling high amps and the lights blink when it kicks in.

I had it checked today and the person that checked it is some I had worked with for 9 year.

The compressor is bad. It is pulling full amp load while it is running. Other word it needs to be replaced.

With the age of the unit he recommend that the unit be replaced because other item could go out.

Since it will have to be replaced with a 13 seer the interior unit will need to be change out.

Cost of replacement would be $5552.32.[:-weepn]

Phillip,

Unless there is something really unusual about your installation---you're getting hosed.

Get a couple more proposals

Agreed. A two ton Goodman condenser is about $1,100.00 and the coil to match is about $400.00. Better brands are a little more.

Google wholesale A/C condenser and you can get an idea of how much the equipment's gonna cost.

I think most of us agree that you get what you pay for, but like Charlie said, whomever you've talked to is putting the screws to you.

The price is on a Carrier unit. I know the price is high.

The tech that came out was one that I worked with for 9 years and the company he works for is the highest in town.

I installed ductwork and units in the past so I can go buy from the warehouses and I am going another route.

A point I would like to brink out to some of the newer inspectors that at one time I thought that when the lights blinked when the unit kicked in it was a loose connection. It can be other things

If lights are flickering when the unit comes on, I would expect a very large current draw and that would make me think of a compressor issue. This appears to be your situation.

Is the A/C system separate from the heating system (is your home heated with electric baseboard or a boiler) ? $5k does sound rather high for a 2 ton compressor and evaporator coil.