Hail damage or manufacturing defect?

Mark P

13 year old roof with significant granule loss, exposing the fiberglass underneath. No signs of leaks anywhere. The damage is pretty much to entire roof. I believe it is hail damage, but of course I could be wrong. I plan on recommending the roof covering be replaced. My question is do you agree? Would a qualified roofing contractor consider this type of damage cosmetic?

Image Insert:

200871916343_1.jpg

68.18 KB

Image Insert:

2008719163417_2.jpg

120.28 KB

Image Insert:

2008719163433_3.jpg

119.45 KB

The first thing I would say is that some shingle manufacturers would balk at that type of attic ventilation. Those type of pan vents can create hot spots and cause premature shingle deterioration.

You can certainly see lots of degranulization and exposed felt. If it isn't leaking right now, it probably will do so soon. I would definitely call out the damage you see and recommend evaluation by a qualified roofer.

Hi,

If I saw erosion like that I'd be looking in the toolshed and garage for a pressure-washer. It's shot. No sense calling for "evaluation," say it like it is, "The roof cover is worn out. I don't know why. Get it replaced."

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Pressure washer, hail or pufferfish, it doesn't matter. The shingles are shot. Time for new felt, flashing, shingles, etc.

And for cryin' out loud, a roof like that does not need "evaluation." My elderly basset hound could make this call. I declare a boycott on roundabouting, tippy-toeing and needless recommendations for "evaluation."

Make the call, make an honest buck.

I'm amazed that I have to explain this,

WJ

Guaranteed there was moss/fungus up there and some bozo thought a pressure washer was a great way to clean it all up. Look in the gutters and you will likely see them full of all the granule that was washed off.

I once pulled back some weeds near a foundation/downspout and said to the client "well the roof needs to be replaced" (notice the lack of evaluation) He said "how the hell do you know that by looking at the ground?" - I came up with a heaping handfull of shingle granule and said I saw the pressure washer in the garage as we passed it and I could see the streaking on the roof from the street as I pulled up...

"Pufferfish"[:-bigmout Now there's a visual for ya.

• 5 weeks later...
Originally posted by AHIS

13 year old roof with significant granule loss, exposing the fiberglass underneath. No signs of leaks anywhere. The damage is pretty much to entire roof. I believe it is hail damage, but of course I could be wrong. I plan on recommending the roof covering be replaced. My question is do you agree? Would a qualified roofing contractor consider this type of damage cosmetic?

Image Insert:

200871916343_1.jpg

68.18 KB

Image Insert:

2008719163417_2.jpg

120.28 KB

Image Insert:

2008719163433_3.jpg

119.45 KB

Sorry about that last "reply". As for the photos, who cares what or how the roof ended up as it is? Just say it is past it's useful life due to extensive damage and replacement is recommended as soon as possible. If you tell someone it is hail damage and it is not they will come after you with a vengance. I once knew an Inspector that labeled the exterior siding as "Cedar Lap" - buyer later found out 2 things: (1)-it was "Lap" and (2)-it was not Cedar. Any gusses as to what the Inspector ended up doing? How about replacing the entire exterior with Cedar Lap!!