Stoop poured over siding

Jim Baird

I have flagged this stoop, poured (or grouted CMU) up over cement-lap siding as violating clearance between pavement or grade and wall cladding.

(In GA we have a state amendment that says 2" clear from paved and 6" clear from grade.)

The risers were also wrong height, and a fixit contractor corrected the risers, but failed to eliminate the huge hazard (termite highway) created by the concrete up over the hardiplank.

The red line shows the approx finish floor. Wood I-joist system is right behind siding.

Contractor doesn't understand that he failed to correct.

House is in foreclosure, bank needs to get CO.

I, as contract AHJ, am drawing line in sand.

Comments?

Image Insert:

2008919233855_stoop.jpg

201.02 KB

Originally posted by Jim Baird

I have flagged this stoop, poured (or grouted CMU) up over cement-lap siding as violating clearance between pavement or grade and wall cladding.

(In GA we have a state amendment that says 2" clear from paved and 6" clear from grade.)

The risers were also wrong height, and a fixit contractor corrected the risers, but failed to eliminate the huge hazard (termite highway) created by the concrete up over the hardiplank.

The red line shows the approx finish floor. Wood I-joist system is right behind siding.

Contractor doesn't understand that he failed to correct.

House is in foreclosure, bank needs to get CO.

I, as contract AHJ, am drawing line in sand.

Comments?

Good for you. I don't know that I'd characterize it as a hazard, but it's certainly a termite highway.

They do something similar up here. The AHJ's make them put metal flashing between the concrete and the Hardiplank to act as a moisture break. No one seems to consider the potential for termite infestation.

They've been doing it like that for decades here. In some neighborhoods, I can guarantee finding termite damage in this area on every house where the stoop come up to the siding.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Mike,

I have referred the contractors to the Hardie site, where there is a picture showing the stepping of the siding courses up over such a profile.

Down here in the warm humid south we are in a "heavy infestation zone" and termites are particularly opportunistic.

Jim,

You are right. I use the term too loosely. Not a safety hazard but certainly a property one.

Just Hardie board? Anytime steps and landings are built over siding that has degradable materials (framing and substrate) behind it I put it on the report. This also goes for when brick veneer is present. I've seen too much decay in such installations. Any inspector who is not willing to pull out some rim joist insulation or lift basement ceiling tiles is missing a boat load of problems under doors.