High temp

Phillip

Here in Alabama we do not have that much cold weather.

Sunday and Monday was cold and the rest of the week has been up in the 60s and 70s.

This time of year I will shoot the temp on the compressor casing before I test it. If the temp is too low I will not run them.

On todays inspection I shot the casing and it was 111.3.

I shot the fan housing and it was 78.

What would cause this higher temp?Click to View

tn_2008122622319_Picture%20061.jpg

53.96 KB

Click to View

tn_200812262253_Picture%20062.jpg

59.62 KB

The crankcase heater was on.

A heater, either wraps around or is installed in the compressor to prevent the the migration of liquid refrigerant to the compressor (out side) R-22 will always go to the coldest area in the system. A compressor is designed to pump gas not liquid. (Scroll compressors have less of a problem) So after a long sit in the cold, and the first start up occurs a gas is present, not liquid that will slug up the compressor and perhaps damage it.

I do not know why the the fan shroud or casing was a bit warmer? Heat gain from the sun. I would not think that the crankcase heater would generate the much excessive heat, but I could be wrong. I find I do get things wrong more than I would like. Ha ha.

Then its inside the compressor, but it has a heater.

27 years old, I hope you told them it's time to replace?

Whats the model #

One more point. Have some fun. Go grab two items you can toss in the oven and heat to 150 or 200 degrees. Set one 3" from your temp gun and one about 16" from the gun. Even though both rocks (or whatever) are heated to the same temp, you will get two different readings.

Originally posted by energy star

Have some fun. Go grab two items you can toss in the oven and heat to 150 or 200 degrees. Set one 3" from your temp gun and one about 16" from the gun. Even though both rocks (or whatever) are heated to the same temp, you will get two different readings.

Yeah, but with some sour cream, chives and some bacon bits both will be delicious.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by hausdok

Originally posted by energy star

Have some fun. Go grab two items you can toss in the oven and heat to 150 or 200 degrees. Set one 3" from your temp gun and one about 16" from the gun. Even though both rocks (or whatever) are heated to the same temp, you will get two different readings.

Yeah, but with some sour cream, chives and some bacon bits both will be delicious.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

But hard on the choppers.

I shoot the casing all the time and there are always around the same temp as the housing of the fan and the outer cover of the unit.

Most of the time the outer cover of the unit and the fan housing is warmer then the compressor casing since the sun hit them more.

I know there is a different in the temps in different distances and different surfaces.

To day the sun is shinning and the temp is 59 degrees.

I when out and shot the temps on my heat pump unit. It is one year old Goodman.

The exterior of the unit was 57.5

Click to View

tn_2008123116610_Picture%20005.jpg

60.93 KB

The fan housing was 77.5

Click to View

2008123116748_Picture%20003.jpg

73.81 KB

The compressor casing was 75.2 after being on and running today.

Click to View

2008123116109_Picture%20004.jpg

86.63 KB

On a TRANE unit of that vintage the mfg. uses the start winding in the compressor as a crankcase heater.(I believe this is a bad idea,Florida being the lightning capital of the country, a lot of shorted start windings) The temp. you stated is a little high, it may have other problems and the compressor is cyling on the internal t-stat embeded in the winding. When the control contactor goes bad some a/c tech.(for lack of a better name) may have miss wired the new one in, I found them all the the time when I was in the business.