Restaurant Grease Traps

Jerry Simon

Originally posted by Jerry Simon

Anybody include these in their restaurant inspections? If so, what do you do?

I always thought they needed pumping, then a looking-at, including a camera through the drains.

I just lost a potnetial job 'cause my quote excluded inspecting such. Thanks for any insight.

They are really nasty. We use to install them here and there. There is not much to them but they do need to be cleaned out before the inspection. All you're looking at is to make sure the baffles are intact. Do a Google search for a cut-away of a grease trap.

If it's a restaurant do you include fire suppression systems for exhaust hoods and fire suppression systems for the main dining area?

The biggest problem with restaurants, IMO, is the fact they have a lot of exhaust and little to no makeup air. The whole facility is usually in a significant negative pressure. The other big are of concern is the electrical system. Almost every restaurant is on a shoestring budget and COD with most suppliers. They invest little if any into the upkeep of the mechanicals.

I'm not sure I'd tackle a restaurant, office building yes, restaurant no. I'm a big of a chicken.

Originally posted by Terence McCann

Anybody include these in their restaurant inspections? If so, what do you do?

I always thought they needed pumping, then a looking-at, including a camera through the drains.

I just lost a potnetial job 'cause my quote excluded inspecting such. Thanks for any insight.

They are really nasty. We use to install them here and there. There is not much to them but they do need to be cleaned out before the inspection. All you're looking at is to make sure the baffles are in tact. Do a Google search for a cut-away of a grease trap.

If it's a restaurant do you include fire suppression systems for exhaust hoods and fire suppression systems for the main dining area?

The biggest problem with restaurants, IMO, is the fact they have a lot of exhaust and little to no makeup air. The whole facility is usually in a significant negative pressure. The other big are of concern is the electrical system. Almost every restaurant is on a shoestring budget and COD with most suppliers. They invest little if any into the upkeep of the mechanicals.

I'm not sure I'd tackle a restaurant, office building yes, restaurant no. I'm a big of a chicken.

Thanks Terry.

Yeah, make-up air can be a concern, though most I've inspected have had rooftop direct-fired and/or non-direct-fired make-up air units. If not, yup, a concern.

And yes, I can't stand the stench of the traps. Don't know why I lost the job unless the other guy is in the pumping business. Likely just my price or personality.

Fire-suppression I leave to the local inspector folk.

Funny you mention electrical. Speaking of grease, biggest problem I have is getting the greasy electrical panel covers off.

The biggest problem with restaurants, IMO, is the fact they have a lot of exhaust and little to no makeup air. The whole facility is usually in a significant negative pressure.

So, this must be why I feel so bloated after being in one of these places?[?]

Yeah, make-up air can be a concern, though most I've inspected have had rooftop direct-fired and/or non-direct-fired make-up air units. If not, yup, a concern.

True. Some of the better hoods I've seen actually have MUA around the perimeter of the hood with exhaust in the middle. Goes a long way to negate the negative pressure problem. You don't typically see these at your local Ptomaine Palace however.

Had a thought Jerry (amazing isn't it), team up with a plumber if you want to branch out in this type of thing. Have him inspect it and put a 20% me too clause on it.

A good thought...thanks. Perhaps a plumber I don't like.

By the by, I got the job! Emailed my customer with a question of how the *other* guy was going to inspect the trap. Guess the other guy didn't have a good answer.