Property Fax

I got an email from a Steve Piegari this morning about his company Property Fax LLC. (http://www.propertyfax.us.com/)

The company supposedly maintains insurance claim information on real estate properties and sells reports for anywhere from $6.00 to $23.00 (I think).

I've been doing a lot of foreclosures lately, some for 1st time buyers. There are no disclosures and the property is sold "As Is". I wonder if something like this could be of value to my clients.

Has anyone heard of or used this company? Are there others like it. I'm interested in everyone's thoughts about this type of service.

Jeff Beck

Foresight Home Inspection LLC

Jeff,

I have mixed feeling about inspectors thinking they are the client's advocate. I work for my client, but really do not think of myself as their advocate.

I know most of the info cited above is available for no cost.

We have been doing great numbers of repo property for two-three years and have changed our protocols a little. In the past, we never saw nor wanted to see any disclosures or linesides. Of course we would answer any questions the client had about property that they may have learned from disclosures. But, if the disclosure revealed water in basement last year and the seller fixed it, all we would say is it is dry/wet now. It seems prudent to regard all information as time sensitive.

I tend to agree with Jim, I wouldn't check prior to an inspection but if the clients appeared to be of the "dear caught in the headlights" variety, I would consider giving them Steve's number after my report has been delivered.

I like the idea even better of advising them to talk to their insurance agent regarding prior claims. That's probably the cleanest solution.

Unless I see something that's a problem and appears to have been in existence for a while, I'm not interested in seeing the disclosures, knowing the selling price, etc. I don't want to be accused of being prejudice by some prior knowledge of a property.

Les, I don't think that this falls under the heading of being the client's advocate.

Part of my job is helping my clients to understand the technical aspects of the property they are about to purchase. I think that advising them that there is information available to research which could help them make a decision on flood insurance falls into that category.

Just MHO

Jeff

I would like to introduce myself as the owner of property fax our service provides past insurance claim histories of a homes. Not all insurance companies have access to all insurance databases as we do, also by the time the buyer goes to get insurance the deal is just about closed and if you are not intrested in disclosures why do a inspection please visit our website www.propertyfax.info we welcome all to become a affiliate and receive a commission for all our services.

Property Fax,

Make sure that, if any inspectors from Washington State sign up to be one of your affiliates, that they understand that very soon they will need to divulge to their clients that they are getting a commission from you when/if they refer a customer to your site.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

How can an individual obtain a copy of their CLUE report?

CLUE reports can only be obtained by an individual for the home or property he or she currently owns and resides in. The reports can be obtained from ChoicePoint over the web at www.choicetrust.com or through regular mail. ChoicePoint charges $9.00 for each report requested via standard mail and $12.95 for each electronic report. However, the residents of several states, including Colorado, are entitled to a limited number of free or reduced fee reports. Furthermore, a consumer who has been the subject of adverse action based on the information in the report is entitled to a free copy of the report if they request it within 60 days of the adverse action. Adverse action can include denial of coverage or an increase in premium charges. Insurers are obligated to notify consumers when adverse actions have been taken.

Seems kind of like the credit report providers... only difference is the price and the product.

Jeff,

I am commenting in a larger sense. It is my experience and belief that most inspectors fail to do a complete inspection in an objective way. I am not being critical of how they do their business, just commenting on how much information it is "possible" to give your client.

I am sure many inspectors could spend many hours talking to a client about everything from lead based paint to condensing furnaces to the effects of soft soap on bathroom sink drains. Some is fact and some is always "inspector lore". I know inspectors that work with me can go on for hours about very interesting stuff that is not an integral part of the process of inspecting. I have experience talking for hours about a single house and it is all good interesting stuff, but not really a part of inspection.

Propertyfax is good stuff. Flood plain info is good stuff. Past insurance activity is good stuff. Recall info is good stuff. Info on carbon monoxide, energy use, lead, radon, asbestos, chinese drywall, knob and tube, vermiculite, coliform, polarity, whirlpool microwaves, Brownfield areas, traffic, sex offenders, etc is all good. Where does it stop? I have a little pause with those that say "I inspect this house as if my kid/mother/sister were buying it". Don't have to say that if you do a good job and the process is fully understood.

I feel no pressure to tell my client "everything".

just my opinion!

Jeremy,

I was feeling really smug in the late 80's and started a list of building materials and various methods. Simple stuff like, Roof coverings: 1. three tab asphalt shingles 2. three tab fiberglass shingles 3. three tab metric shingles (asphalt & fiberglass) 4.three tab shingles in general 5. Diamond lock shingles 6. T lock shingles etc. Frank, how many types of roof coverings are you aware of? Bet ya it is several dozen!

Well, some hundreds of typed pages later, I finally gave up because I was finding and discovering seventeen million shingle types! I still use the list in educational settings and when considering a new inspector. I never added any method or material that I had not personally seen or used.

My point is this - I would be a happy camper if most inspectors would concentrate on how a house is built (methods) and what has gone into that house (materials) and how they impact, affect, one to the other. On the other hand, how can I expect a young inspector to be as crazy as Mike, Kurt, Jim, Bill K, when you consider their ages and backgrounds. Jim K has always fascinated me with his mental skills and ability to think and write at the same time. Walter J has many valuable lnsights as regards your role in the sale and transfer of real property. Remember he never crawled around on hot shingles!

just my opinion

• 2 weeks later...