Is there a name for this roof?

Inspectorjoe

This is a long shot. Is there a name for the little section of roof left when a shed dormer is added to a cape cod?

Click to Enlarge
tn_20094260376_1%20167.jpg

53.74 KB

I'm admiring the exquisite application of shingles, and am particularly enraptured by the genius of using the asphalt shingle itself as flashing. Sheer minimalist brilliance! Gotta love that inward pitch, too. That must have taken some planning.

That's exactly what I did - at the inspection. Now I'm writing the report and would like to use the proper name for it. I don't see a downside to being specific.

If I found a problem with a pent roof, writing "There's a problem with the pent roof" sounds a whole lot smarter than "There's a problem with the little roof attached to the front of the building". Don't ya think?

That's a real beauty of a rake edge line, ...

It is a thing to behold, isn't it?

Click to Enlarge
tn_200942621428_1%20161.jpg

53.95 KB

and some sweet kick out flashing work at the siding installed in contact with the roofing.

Look closer - the roofing IS the kickout flashing.

There's plenty of contractors? to blame for that workmanship.

I hope that wasn't the work of contractors. More like buddies working for beer. You should have seen the rest of the place.

That's exactly what I did - at the inspection. Now I'm writing the report and would like to use the proper name for it. I don't see a downside to being specific.

If I found a problem with a pent roof, writing "There's a problem with the pent roof" sounds a whole lot smarter than "There's a problem with the little roof attached to the front of the building". Don't ya think?

Well, I think the world goes on turning regardless of the naming choice. Google Images leads me to think that there are plenty of pent roofs that don't look like at all the one in the pic. So, calling it a pent roof just gives the reader/listener a plethora of useless choices.

What pic are you talking about? I didn't post a picture of a pent roof.

I don't think I've ever used the term "pent roof" in any context; and, I suspect that it's an obscure term. Could be a regional favorite somewhere, though.

You might be right about that, as brother Kibble explains: Pent Roofs

There are a good number of pent roofs around here, especially on old Germanic buildings. But I've also seen pent roofs on newer buildings.

And to answer your question directly, I don't think using the term "pent roof" makes the writer sound more erudite. In my little part of the world, the term would only create confusion, which is exactly what I don't want.

I'm a strong believer in the "write so you can't possibly be misunderstood" rule.

WJ

I think that using the correct term to describe something is the foundation for writing so you can't possibly be misunderstood. But that's just me. I don't write for a living.